Question Best way to switch audio between Nintendo Switch and PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeodakins

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2012
I have the LG 27GL83A-B and the audio pass-through is really bad (volume is super low). So currently I have my speakers plugged into my pc's 3.5mm but sometimes I wanna play my switch on the monitor so I have to unplug this audio cable and plug it into the monitor. And then when I switch back to the PC I have to unplug and plug the audio cable back to the computer.

Is there a way I can set this up so I don't have to keep switching this audio cable that also doesn't involve using a cable switch? I was wondering if I could get a 3.5mm splitter (1 female to 2 male) and plug my speakers into both the monitor and the pc, and then my pc is connected to the monitor via display port. And then have the splitter default to using only the computer audio and but if the computer is off, it will default to using the monitor audio. Is something like this possible? Or maybe I could just have the splitter feed audio into both the computer and monitor, but have my computer disable the monitor audio? I don't have a 3.5mm splitter to test this out yet and I don't wanna buy one and then find out that this will not work.

Apr 26, 2020
if you have two 3.5mm male to male cables, you can do the following (as long as your pc stays on while you play):
plug your speakers into the 3.5mm line out port on your pc (so your pc audio will play from speakers). then plug your monitor (or switch headphone jack) into the line IN port on your pc.
next, go to your pc sound settings, then the sound control panel. in the "recording" tab, you should see your line-in device. go to that device's properties, go to the "listen" tab and check the box that says "listen to this device".
then you should be able to select your speakers as the playback device underneath. then your switch/monitor audio should play through your speakers.
that's how i do it! it isn't exactly "switching" per se as it's playing from both audio sources simultaneously but it should work :)

Reactions: Stealthvibe
Oct 9, 2020
if you have two 3.5mm male to male cables, you can do the following (as long as your pc stays on while you play):
plug your speakers into the 3.5mm line out port on your pc (so your pc audio will play from speakers). then plug your monitor (or switch headphone jack) into the line IN port on your pc.
next, go to your pc sound settings, then the sound control panel. in the "recording" tab, you should see your line-in device. go to that device's properties, go to the "listen" tab and check the box that says "listen to this device".
then you should be able to select your speakers as the playback device underneath. then your switch/monitor audio should play through your speakers.
that's how i do it! it isn't exactly "switching" per se as it's playing from both audio sources simultaneously but it should work :)
Thank you for the tip, it works fine for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.