Question Best way to test a new 8TB drive without taking days? (If possible)

Cyber_Akuma

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I am on a Windows 10 desktop.

Normally I try to "build" my own external drives when I can as I don't trust pre-fabricated external drives, but with how much more expensive 8TB internal drives are (and that's not even including the enclosure) I purchased an external 8TB drive from Western Digital for backup purposes. However, I immediately had problems. The drive would not mount at first, I assumed it was the cable being loose, and after I got it working it failed about 20% or so into the backup while making noises, the drive also ran very hot, CrystalDisk reporting it at a temp of 57C but otherwise no SMART errors. I wanted to do a surface scan just to make sure but chkdsk was reporting that it would take 130 hours, so I just cancelled it. This drive was still new so back it goes for a refund.

So I guess that means back to "building" my own external... luckily there happened to be a sale on a Toshiba drive so I got that. Thing is though, I want to avoid a repeat of this issue just to be safe. Right now I am doing a non-quick format of previously mentioned WD external just to make sure to wipe any data from it, even though I am pretty sure no backup data managed to be stored in a usable state.... and it's taking about 10 or so hours.

It's probably going to take just as long, if not longer, to format the new drive I am getting, and that's not counting any tests. Are there any tests, surface scans, or any other recommended days I can test the drive just to make sure it works that won't take days? I know that 8TB is a large drive and that is a lot to test, but I can't wait a week just to do a surface test. Do I have any other options that are still a reliable test?

Also, the enclosure I am getting has both eSata and USB 3.0 ports, which would be recommended to use? I always thought eSata would be faster, but now I am reading that USB 3.0 might actually be faster. Or would it not even matter for a 7200RPM mechanical drive?

Many drives, albeit allegedly USB 3.0 capable, do much better on USB 2.0 ports.....it's possible some of the serial circuitry overheats at numerous sustained USB3.0 burst speeds...

It's not as if the drive can sustain USB3.0 speeds on a mechanical drive anyway, so, it's worth a shot...

TRENDING THREADS