Question Best way to update my drives and migrate my data&OS

Jun 4, 2019
Thanks for reading my questions!

So....I'm updating all my hard drives:
Old Drives: 1 480GB SATA 8.5 SSD(sandisk) where my windows and couple files are, 2 HDDs with 1 and 3TB for videos, game and apps
New Drives: 2x WD Blue NVMe M.2 SSD 500G (one for system and one fore steam libarary), 1 4TB WD Black (used, bought off ebay)

I don't intend to use any of my old drives so I'm moving everything to the new drives.
for HDD, maybe I can get away with copying and pasting once I installed OS. But what is the best way (software) to clone my OS from old SSD to the new one? Most of the tutorial i come across are about transfering HDD to SSD

Update: getting the blue screen error: INACCESIBLE BOOT DRIVE

I disconnect all my HDD except for my current C which is on my sata ssd
I try to boot the device just with the old ssd on and failed.. pc go straight to bios and when I try to boot from ssd -> goes back to bios
at some point ssd isn't showing up on the boot menu, Had to do a CMOS reset and it's back on, but it's still stuck into bios loop
plugged the other two hdd back and swap around the ports, it does go to windows logo saying "preparing for automatic repair" but it would fail...
what should i do? im using the win10 feature to restore my system to a couple days ago right now

Result: It did not work :(

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
I’ve always had luck with macrium reflect and Acronis true image. Mini tool partition manager and aomei backupper can do it too. I use free file sync for folder copying/backup.
Macrium Reflect Free.

The HDD, you can just copy and paste but if your using windows 7 then you might want to go with a faster app like Richcopy , Robocopy, or even Synctoy 2.1. Those are all free from Microsoft and Win7 has Robocopy (cmd line) built in but there is a Gui available.

Ty! will definitely check the Macrium Reflect Free out! Do I need to worry about my windows license?

btw, I think Aomei updated their software so that system clone is not free anymore.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Selecting the uefi boot vs the old fashion way didn’t work for me to fix the boot problem going from SATA to NVMe. What did was the following:

SATA SSD to NVMe SSD you gotta enable the NVMe driver during boot for it to boot after the clone. To do so, do the following clone procedure.

Open MSconfig -> Boot Tab - Boot options -> Check the Safe boot checkbox
Shut down the system
Boot cloning software
Clone -> Shut down -> Remove old drive
Boot OS -> Open MSConfig -> Normal boot -> Restart

Should be set after that.

TRENDING THREADS