kuujo

Distinguished
May 19, 2013
SPECS:
ASRock Z87M Extreme4
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz
16GB Ram
GTX 760

Would replacing my 760 with 1080 ti be a good decision, or would the processor be too much of a bottleneck? If so, what is the best path of upgrade to make it handle modern games on ultra settings in UHD? Do I need to build from scratch?

Solution
If you're going to game at 4K rez, the CPU won't make too much difference ( within reason ) and the current part is good enough, at such a high resolution the GPU is likely to be the holdup, with even the mighty GTX1080Ti struggling to maintain 60FPS in many titles without lowering some settings.
As a side note: The new RTX 2XXX cards should become available within a month or so, if you can, hang on and see what they bring to the 4K table before parting with any cash.
If you're going to game at 4K rez, the CPU won't make too much difference ( within reason ) and the current part is good enough, at such a high resolution the GPU is likely to be the holdup, with even the mighty GTX1080Ti struggling to maintain 60FPS in many titles without lowering some settings.
As a side note: The new RTX 2XXX cards should become available within a month or so, if you can, hang on and see what they bring to the 4K table before parting with any cash.

Solution

kuujo

Distinguished
May 19, 2013

One of the reasons I am interested in 1080 now, is because I expect the prices to go down with the release of next gen, and I don't expect a revolution of some kind in terms of performance. Am I doing it right? Will the price go down just after release?

TRENDING THREADS