Best way to upgrade my Ram

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017
Hi I made a post before about this but everyone started fighting and never gave me a stright answer I recently bought Patriot Viper Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4 2400MHz DRAM (Desktop Memory) CL15 1.2V Red DIMM (288-pin) PVE48G240C5KRD (Intel XMP, AMD Ryzen). Now I know I can just by the same exact ram but I would still only be at 16gb witch is not the greatest. So is there a way I can by the same ram just the 16gb version (so 2 8gb) or do I just have to sell what I have and go from there. If so where is a good place to sell ram.

Also myotherboard is a MSI B250 PC MATE LGA 1151 Intel B250 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Solution
You can NOT buy the exact same ram.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

I gather from your post that you want to end up with >16gb of ram.

I see two options:

1. Buy a 2 x 16gb ram kit(or 4 x 8gb if cheaper) of compatible ram in the specs you want.
Then sell or keep the old 2 x 4gb kit as a spare.
This is guaranteed to work, and you get perhaps more ram that you need.
It is also a more expensive option.

2. Are you a gambler?
If so, buy a 2 x 8gb ram kit with specs the same as...
What do you need more than 16gb of RAM for? There are not many applications that will require more than 16gb. Any extra RAM on you have on your system wont make your PC faster, the RAM will just sit there idle doing nothing.

Mixing and matching RAM does not always work. Even if it is the same brand and model. This is why RAM is sold in kits as they are tested to work with each other. But just because it does not always work, does not mean it wont work either, there is just no guarantee. Chances are it will work just fine. If 16gb is all you need, then I would buy the exact RAM that you already have from a vendor with a good return policy. If the RAM works, then great, if it does not, then take it back.

If for some reason you need 24gb of RAM, you can try adding 2x8gb sticks of RAM and it may work, but again, there is no guarantee, so you should get it from a vendor with a decent return policy.

You can NOT buy the exact same ram.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.

I gather from your post that you want to end up with >16gb of ram.

I see two options:

1. Buy a 2 x 16gb ram kit(or 4 x 8gb if cheaper) of compatible ram in the specs you want.
Then sell or keep the old 2 x 4gb kit as a spare.
This is guaranteed to work, and you get perhaps more ram that you need.
It is also a more expensive option.

2. Are you a gambler?
If so, buy a 2 x 8gb ram kit with specs the same as your current ram.
That will give you a guaranteed 16gb.
Then try installing your old 2 x 8gb kit.
If it works, fine. You now have 24gb.
If it does not work, you might be able to get it to work by increasing the ram voltage in the bios before adding the old kit.
Your chances of success are less than 100%.
What the true number is, I do not know. Perhaps 90-95%.

If your old ram no longer is useful,
the easiest place to sell ram is on ebay.
Shipping costs are minimal.
To get an idea on pricing, find your kit in used condition.
Then filter on completed auctions.
In green, you will see what it actually sold for.

Solution

luka1000

Honorable
Aug 26, 2017

okay so the best way then really would just to be to buy another set of the ones i have installed now