Best Way to Upgrade to SSD & Install Windows 8?

barronlroth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hi there! In a few days, I will be receiving a Dell Latitude E5530 fitted with a 320GB HDD and Windows 7. When I receive it, I wish to install Windows 8 and replace the HDD with an SSD in as few steps possible.

I have never upgraded to an SSD before, so specific steps would be very appreciated! :D

Thanks!

Solution
get your computer, go to http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US
fill it out, buy windows for 15 dollars, and download the OS
when its done downloading itll ask if you want to install immediately or make installation media. make installation media (it saves an ISO to your system) and i personally used the windows usb maker tool thing to put it on a usb stick for myself but you can use a dvd

pull your drive, install the ssd, boot from whatever media, put in your key, away you go

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
get your computer, go to http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-US
fill it out, buy windows for 15 dollars, and download the OS
when its done downloading itll ask if you want to install immediately or make installation media. make installation media (it saves an ISO to your system) and i personally used the windows usb maker tool thing to put it on a usb stick for myself but you can use a dvd

pull your drive, install the ssd, boot from whatever media, put in your key, away you go

Solution

barronlroth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

That seems pretty straightforward! If I want to use the HDD as a storage drive (connected via USB-to-SATA), how can I remove Windows 7 OS files? Would you recommend exporting the media files I need from it first and then just reformatting the drive?

I would simply clone your hard drive to a SSD and then replace the hard drive with a SSD.
You can use acronis true image clone utility to to the job. It is available as a free 30 day trial.
There are other clone utilities out there.
Better yet, Intel offers a tailored ssd migration tool which is a modified version of acronis that will work with their SSD's
If you have not shopped for a ssd, intel has some clearance sales on their 330 series. Samsung is also discounting their 830 series.
For reliability, I would favor Intel or Samsung.

Buy a external USB 3.0 to sata enclosure and temporatily install your ssd in it.
Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140
Attach your new ssd to the laptop via a USB to sata connection.
Clone the old HDD to the ssd.
If, by any chance, the clone operation has a problem, you can easily recover by reinstalling the original HDD.
After all is done, you can update in place to Windows-8 if you want.
I don't think I would update to windows 8, at least not right now.
I see no compelling reason from a functional point of view.
The faster boot times are irrelevant with a ssd.
And there will still be the inevitable new os glitches.

Since you cloned, all of your existing files will be on the SSD.
I would reformat the HDD. That will also remove the hidden recovery partition.

barronlroth

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

The Upgrade key I purchased and the installation media I made will work with a bare drive that doesn't have Windows 7 on it?