Question Best way to upscale games that are stuck at 1080p? (AMD GPU) ?

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
I've got a 65" 4k TV, so games that are stuck at 1080p don't look all to well. Like Dynasty Warriors 8 for example. They never had the best graphics, but 1080p on a 4k TV makes em look even worse. I see in Adrenalin that there are some upscaling options, but I don't know if I should turn them all on, or just some of em. "Radeon Super Resolution" and "GPU Scaling" sound like something that might help, but I don't know what exactly they do and how to use em. Also, are there any other upscaling options in Adrenalin except the two that I've mentioned?

One little thing that I've discovered is that a lot of games won't offer resolutions higher than the resolution that you've set your desktop to. I also game on a 4K TV and because I'm generally so far from the screen, I like to set the resolution to 720p (just so I can see the icons and read the text) but if I load a game like that, it often won't allow me to select a resolution higher than 720p.

So, I've recently switched to setting my default resolution to 1440p with the icons set to (I think) 200%. Since I game at 1440p, all my games just default to it now. If your default resolution is 1080p, I think that this may be the reason why.

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
Super Resolution is what you're looking for I'm pretty sure: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/radeon-super-resolution

That being said I usually look for mods or configuration settings for games with resolution limits. The experience has generally been better doing it this way.
No mods and config are available for this particular game. Super resolution did make it look a bit better, but I was kinda hoping that there are other tricks in the Adrenalin to make it look even smoother...

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
One little thing that I've discovered is that a lot of games won't offer resolutions higher than the resolution that you've set your desktop to. I also game on a 4K TV and because I'm generally so far from the screen, I like to set the resolution to 720p (just so I can see the icons and read the text) but if I load a game like that, it often won't allow me to select a resolution higher than 720p.

So, I've recently switched to setting my default resolution to 1440p with the icons set to (I think) 200%. Since I game at 1440p, all my games just default to it now. If your default resolution is 1080p, I think that this may be the reason why.
Nah, I'm on 4k by default. There really are some games that simply won't give you a resolution higher than 1080p and people hate their devs for this. 😅

Reactions: Avro Arrow
No mods and config are available for this particular game. Super resolution did make it look a bit better, but I was kinda hoping that there are other tricks in the Adrenalin to make it look even smoother...
There won't be as this is an inherent problem with upscaling. If you're not already aware of it https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Home is pretty good for showing game capabilities and linking to pertinent settings/mods.

Nah, I'm on 4k by default. There really are some games that simply won't give you a resolution higher than 1080p and people hate their devs for this. 😅
Oh damn, I didn't know that. I tried setting my PC to 2160p but I couldn't read a thing because my TV is too far away. I tried increasing the font and icon size but they looked really weird.

I managed to find my happy medium at 1440p with icons increased to 200% (or whatever the default is).