Best Ways To Boost My Signal/Speed

Michael_42

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Hello all,

As of now I am getting this for my wireless speed...
SsSDo77.png

Keep in mind this is after everyone is asleep and I am just running this website. My ping also sits around 3500-5000+ when watching YouTube...

I am paying for AT&T U-verse with the fiber optics 24/5mbps plan. They have replaced our modem/router several times to no avail... Does anyone know why this could be happening?

They are sending another "technician" out tomorrow to "fix" the problem. Meanwhile I am trying to go Ethernet, but the way my house is set up, it may not be worth it.

My question is, if I cant go wired what are the best things to get the most out of my wireless signal?

Better wireless card, router, a booster? I do a lot of gaming/live streaming so the better connection is important to me.

Thanks, Michael

Solution

Assuming you can get at or near your paid for 24/5 when wired, obviously the WiFi is the issue.
However....as none of us out here know how your house is configured, any suggestions would be mere guesses.

WiFi is very environmentally sensitive.
Distance, house construction, neighbors, too many devices...all come into play.

For instance, if your router is in the basement surrounded by cement walls, and you are on the second floor at the other end of the house...it's going to suck.

Michael_42

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I haven't tested Ethernet connection, I now feel dumb for not doing so, will do it tomorrow before the technician arrives.

USAFRet

Titan

Assuming you can get at or near your paid for 24/5 when wired, obviously the WiFi is the issue.
However....as none of us out here know how your house is configured, any suggestions would be mere guesses.

WiFi is very environmentally sensitive.
Distance, house construction, neighbors, too many devices...all come into play.

For instance, if your router is in the basement surrounded by cement walls, and you are on the second floor at the other end of the house...it's going to suck.

Solution

Michael_42

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Well our wires are run outside along the brick next to the roof, not in the walls, in the attic, or anything like that. It shouldn't be too hard but definitely a days worth of work. My computer is within 30 feet of the router, but if I ran a cable it would be around 100ft long.

Here is a rough view of what our house is like.
6dGbF23.png

if your home has a crall space where there a heating system you should be able to run all ethernet under the home then up. another trick see if the main closets are over each other. if they are you can run the cable up them then into the rooms you need.

Michael_42

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Thing is, we use a fireplace for heating and don't have AC :p. We would but there isn't enough space in the attic.

Michael_42

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
So I tested the internet when hooked up to ethernet and got this...
AYO2F7B.png

I now feel like an ***hole :p... Also very dumb. What may be causing my computer to be getting such slow speeds?

I will now be finding a way for Ethernet, I will probably need a 100ft cable or more, what is the best cable? and how far until i lose speeds over the length? Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Any reasonable quality Cat5e will do the trick for that length. You will not lose ANY speed at 100 feet. The spec calls for gigabit speed out to 100 meters.

Why is your WiFi so bad?
One word...WiFi.
It could be a number of factors. Building construction, other devices (cordless phone/microwave/etc), interference from neighbors...

Michael_42

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Well the technician was late today but he came and ran a line of Ethernet for me for FREE. He was nice and explained it all to me pretty well. Now getting 30mbps, he said our metal roof caused most of the problem. Respect to that guy!

USAFRet

Titan

As above, "Building construction..."
Good to see its all working.