Best Webcams You Can Still Buy

cassian

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
I have been thinking about getting a webcam for several months, ie before the COVID19 disaster. I went to Amazon and then did an Internet search and found your timely and super review. So helpful. Thank you!

Most of my equipment is from Dell so I scampered over there and ordered the Logitech C930e HD Audio Webcam.
Delivery is May 4. So maybe all the novel coronavirus strain (SARS-CoV-2) that causes the disease COVID-19 will not survive the trip from China.

Just a side note. Tom'sHardware is the most useful, best written, and most interesting tech website I know. You all do an excellent job.

starvinmarvin

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2002
Microsoft Lifecam Studio and Lifecam 3000/4000 have an unfortunate glitch which many (but not all) users have encountered. It's the auto-focus feature, and it keeps going briefly out of focus then back into focus every 8 or 10 seconds as it "hunts for the correct setting. If this happens to you try turning auto-focus off. Other than that it's a good webcam with nice detail, accurate color, and a pretty good microphone. As usual, the microphone works best when you sit up close to it.
We also have a Logitech C910 which is the predecessor to the C920. One of the main differences between the two is that the C920 has a different compression algorithm which makes it better suited for 1080p video chat. A good feature they both share is auto-focus. You can hold an item as close as 4 inches away from the C910 or C920 and within a couple of seconds the item will come sharply into focus (assuming you hold the object still, of course). Link to show auto-focus in action: Logitech C910 Auto-focus up close.

Last edited:

Co BIY

Reputable
Jun 18, 2015
Was able to order a Razer Kiyo through Dell with delivery said to be April 17 for the MSRP of $100. Most other Web Cameras on the site listed delivery as June.

The Logitech HD Pro was also available but only bundled with a Blue Yeti Microphone for around $200. The Dell site had a nice feature on each product page that says "Check Delivery date" saved a lot of time and hassle.

We'll see if they deliver.

My wife does Telemedicine and asked me about a web cam today.

Thanks Toms's.

Additional:

hp.com - Out of Stock
Bhphotovideo - Back ordered most expecting availability in Mid-April.
Microcenter Denver - Sold Out

ASK THE COMMUNITY