Question best WiFi 6 mesh

kiberniths

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
I want a suggestion about a WiFi 6 mesh nodes. I want to have good cover distance and speed. i want suggestion around 150 euros and less. I heard that mercusys h80x has good cover and it's speedy but i am not sure. Is it really good or they just make promotion on this product? Do you have any alternative choices which are better that H80x?

First I would try any other solution before a mesh system.

Best would be ethernet to remote rooms with AP to provide wifi. Next would be MoCa using coax cables to the remote rooms and again using AP. You could also consider powerline network to connect the remote rooms.

So mesh has massive performance issues. You are trading bandwidth for coverage. You can make this somewhat better by buying expensive mesh units that have a extra radio chip to talk to the main router and then 2 more to talk on 2.4 and 5 to the end user equipment.
Problem is when you want wifi6 there is already not enough bandwidth. It is extremely hard to get just 1 160mhz radio block. Getting 2...one for the backhaul and a second to talk to the end machine is likely impossible.

Pretty much wifi6 give you almost no benefit over wifi5 (802.11ac).\

You could look at wifi6e that runs on the 6g band since there is lots of bandwidth. You are not going to even think to get a quality mesh system for 150euro likely closer to that cost for each box you need.

kiberniths

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2013
So you suggest to buy two routers with WiFi 6E and use it as an access points? I had routers with WiFi 5 they had good coverage but when i was changing room the devices was taking the signal from the far router and not the one which was close to them. How i will solve this? I want the devices to take the WiFi signal from the closest access point. I tried to use two Asus routers having one as access point but while i was walking with a tablet near the router the tablet had signal from the far router and didn't locked to the closest router having bad speed as a result. How i will manage to change the signal to the strong one near me with two different access points?

Although you may not like the answer the best way to solve that is for you the human to know when there is a better wifi source and stop and start the wifi client to force it to connect to the closer one.
This problem is not going to be fixed by some magic mesh system. The problem is unlike say a cell phone network the end device not the network is in control of where it connects. The best a mesh system might do is force the device off the network and hope it picks a better source.

Your problem is you actually have too much wifi. The device will wait until the signal level drops below some level to look for another wifi source. Since when it look for a new signal it must disconnect to use the radio chip it avoids doing this too much. The devices are designed to favor stability rather than constantly search for a "faster" signal.

The way you can fix this is to reduce the transmit power on your routers and AP so you get minimum overlap.

It tends to be easier to just stop and start the wifi. Most people are not moving from room to room in their house that often.