[SOLVED] Best wifi desktop adapter?

May 13, 2020
So recently i upgraded my internet from 60mbs to now 1gbs but when I do a speed test (https://www.speedtest.net/ ) on my desktop I only receive around 70mbs. I know that to use ethernet cable is better but the router is to far and i can't just run cables throw my house so my question is. Is my current wifi adapter the problem or am I juste at the limit of what wifi can transmit? If so, what is the best wifi adapter i can buy.

What I have currently is an
ASUS PCE-AC55BT 802.11ac

Also around two months ago one of the cable of the antenna broke off but we just slammed it back on and it worked fine so i don't know if that could contribute to the probleme.
sr for my english

Solution
That is one of the better internal cards. Key is the external antenna cables.

If your router supports it you could try one with 3 antenna and you might get more speed. Both your router and nic card must support the features to get the added speed.

It is very hard to say how your house is built is likely the primary reason for your speed issues. Walls and interfering signals from neighbors greatly affect the performance. Maybe test in the same room to see what the maximum rates you see with your current equipment. I would not expect more than about 300mbps. If it is still very low maybe new antenna cables would help.

To get faster you really need to go ethernet.

If your router supports it you could try one with 3 antenna and you might get more speed. Both your router and nic card must support the features to get the added speed.

It is very hard to say how your house is built is likely the primary reason for your speed issues. Walls and interfering signals from neighbors greatly affect the performance. Maybe test in the same room to see what the maximum rates you see with your current equipment. I would not expect more than about 300mbps. If it is still very low maybe new antenna cables would help.

Reactions: Rui Pedro Fernandes
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
So recently i upgraded my internet from 60mbs to now 1gbs but when I do a speed test (https://www.speedtest.net/ ) on my desktop I only receive around 70mbs. I know that to use ethernet cable is better but the router is to far and i can't just run cables throw my house so my question is. Is my current wifi adapter the problem or am I juste at the limit of what wifi can transmit? If so, what is the best wifi adapter i can buy.

What I have currently is an
ASUS PCE-AC55BT 802.11ac

Also around two months ago one of the cable of the antenna broke off but we just slammed it back on and it worked fine so i don't know if that could contribute to the probleme.
sr for my english
You say you upgraded your internet package. Did you also upgrade your router? Is your PC connected to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz WIFI?

Reactions: Rui Pedro Fernandes
May 13, 2020

can I just buy new antenas or do I have to buy an internal card with three antennas?