Question Best Windows OS for Hardware

Jan 5, 2020
Is there a calculator or something that can determine the best Windows OS to install for a system with certain specs?
For example my PC has the following specs:

MOBO: Intel DQ77MK
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Ivy-Bridge DT (LGA1155)
RAM: G Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 / PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM UDIMM
HDDS: KINGSTON SSD / WD20EZRX / WD20EZRX / WD40EZRX
GFX: Intel HD Graphics 2500

The PCs sole purpose is streaming/hosting all different types of data - work projects (Adobe/CAD stuff), school projects (Adobe, video/music files), home photos, documents and videos it's very multipurpose. Basically none of our laptops or mobile devices store anything locally it is all hosted on this device and files are accessed by drive maps.

Any info on whether there is a simple way to figure this out would be much appreciated.

Jan 5, 2020
Windows 10.

Win 7 is falling off all support in a week, and Win 8.1 is sub optimal.

Thanks for the quick response USAFRet my only concern with Windows 10 is that I've been using it on some laptops and the forced updates is not ideal, I'm nervous that if someone is accessing or working on something on one of the mapped drives that Windows 10 might just decide to reboot and force an update.

Is there any way around this?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the quick response USAFRet my only concern with Windows 10 is that I've been using it on some laptops and the forced updates is not ideal, I'm nervous that if someone is accessing or working on something on one of the mapped drives that Windows 10 might just decide to reboot and force an update.

Is there any way around this?
That is not really a concern.
With Win 10 Pro, you can establish 'off hours', and it will only do that update during those hours.

I have been running Win 10 since Day 1 of the original Tech Preview, across multiple systems. I have never had it interrupt work to update and reboot itself.

Additionally, you can pause Updates for 35 days, and do it when you are ready.

CRrWAej.png

Yes, the updates are (eventually) required. But it gives you many configuration options.