[SOLVED] Best Wireless Headphone for under 200-250 usd.

Mar 29, 2021
Hello.

Is it possible to buy a wireless headphone for 200-250 usd within the quality of the sennheiser HD599 (which I have at the moment)? If so, what are the options?

I will give 85% of the use for audio and 15% for gaming.

Thanks.

There are so many differences between wired and wireless headphones... no, I can't imagine you can get wireless headphones of HD599 quality at that price -especially if audio quality is that important.
I mean, HD599 already is about $200+ (haven't checked) , so it's hard to expect the same quality (+wireless) for only $50 more. But then, it's not only about price.
For example, one of the quality parameters is weight.. and every (good) wireless headphone is quite heavier than wired and hence also need to sit on head more "tight" -it's a difference you notice immediately (is important for some and less for others).
Audio quality.. in case of Bluetooth, audio is first encoded on PC and then decoded in headphones, so certain degradation can/will occur. However, I think on high quality wireless headset, that can barely be noticeable.
And finally, most (if not all) wireless headphones are closed (to isolate surrounding noise) -and if nothing else, this can make quite a difference compared to HD599.

What to say... $250 (and you might end up at $350) is quite a money. I highly recommend you try first in store.

Reactions: guinho
Mar 29, 2021
There are so many differences between wired and wireless headphones... no, I can't imagine you can get wireless headphones of HD599 quality at that price -especially if audio quality is that important.
I mean, HD599 already is about $200+ (haven't checked) , so it's hard to expect the same quality (+wireless) for only $50 more. But then, it's not only about price.
For example, one of the quality parameters is weight.. and every (good) wireless headphone is quite heavier than wired and hence also need to sit on head more "tight" -it's a difference you notice immediately (is important for some and less for others).
Audio quality.. in case of Bluetooth, audio is first encoded on PC and then decoded in headphones, so certain degradation can/will occur. However, I think on high quality wireless headset, that can barely be noticeable.
And finally, most (if not all) wireless headphones are closed (to isolate surrounding noise) -and if nothing else, this can make quite a difference compared to HD599.

What to say... $250 (and you might end up at $350) is quite a money. I highly recommend you try first in store.

Thanks! Perfect explanation. For $350 do you have any recommendation? I have my eyes on this Sony WH1000XM3 but maybe will lose quality audio. Will it be very noticeable for a normal consumer?

Get something like this for your headphones https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-BTR3K-B...PMJDQDPHTN3&psc=1&refRID=ZH1VF8VSFPMJDQDPHTN3

Instant bluetooth using any headphones you want, granted without a mic.

Or something cheaper from mpow or taotronics

https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetoo...32444&pd_rd_wg=SZKw4&pd_rd_i=B075JBLGLB&psc=1

I use/used both designs (different models) and they work great, with the higher end ones having the ability to be used as a nice portable DAC with a bit of amp power to the headphones. I use my FiiO on laptops and tablets all the time.

Solution
I have my eyes on this Sony WH1000XM3...
This Sony was the most comfortable headphones I ever tried and sound was very good as well -at least from what one can judge trying in store for about 10 minutes.
For example, more expensive Bose was way less comfortable -can't say about sound, because I didn't even bother to listen.

Comfort is very important to me.. how much pressure you feel on top of the head (and how pressure is distributed), how shell sits on ear (does it cover full ear or is partially sitting on ear?), etc. Many headphones can feel (quite) comfortable at first, but how about after wearing it for 2-3 hours or more, daily? Hard to know. So, when trying, if there's anything that disturb you even slightly, then that feeling will multiply later -keep that in mind.

My wired headphones is AKG K242HD which has (to my opinion) the best solution for comfort (two springs and ribbon). There's absolutely no pressure on top of the head. I mention that, because all recent headphones have "single bridge" padded with foam, which just isn't that good. Yeah I know, those "springs" look outdated...

For daily use I now have Sennheiser/EPOS GSP 370 wireless headset. It's very good for what it is, but doesn't match above AKG sound quality.

And finally, if above Sony is the best I tried, why didn't I bough it?
  1. I prefer wi-fi over Bluetooth, because (I believe) it gives better audio quality -if I'm wrong on this, then be it.
  2. Controlling headphones by "touching/sliding" on headphone shell is kinda awkward to me -if at all, then I prefer "real" loudness knob.
  3. GSP 370 works even without installing additional software on PC -not sure about Sony, though.

Just sharing my experience.. decisions, decisions :)

1. I prefer wi-fi over Bluetooth, because (I believe) it gives better audio quality -if I'm wrong on this, then be it.
  2. Controlling headphones by "touching/sliding" on headphone shell is kinda awkward to me -if at all, then I prefer "real" loudness knob.
  3. GSP 370 works even without installing additional software on PC -not sure about Sony, though.

Just sharing my experience.. decisions, decisions :)

If you are talking about the USB dongle the GSP 370 comes with, it's not WiFi, but it is better than bluetooth due to not having an audio delay/lag that is an issue with bluetooth devices.
None of the wireless headsets would need software installed past normal bluetooth drivers.