best wireless receiver for xbox 360 controller and windows 8.1

hayden_s

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
I have two wireless xbox 360 controllers and want to use them for my pc (specifically fifa 15). What is the most reliable wireless controller receiver under $20 that is compatible with windows 8.1.

Solution
I would be very dubious about buying the above. The photo is one that turns up on a a mere half-a-dozen obscure sellers, a couple of which include reviews stating that the receiver is a third-party knock off. The sellers are all in Japan, none are official or have much in the way of 'history', i.e. a large number of positive reviews (not that that's always a guarantee). In short, the above will (like all I've seen) be a cheap copy that may or may not work.

Microsoft no longer sell the official receiver as a standalone product. I don't know why, but they don't, and that's probably why nobody else does either. The only way to get hold of one is to buy a wireless controller for Windows or find somebody selling one secondhand.

hayden_s

Distinguished
May 4, 2014

I've tried looking everywhere and I can only find cheap imitations of the actual Microsoft one. Could you please link me to the actual Microsoft receiver.

I would be very dubious about buying the above. The photo is one that turns up on a a mere half-a-dozen obscure sellers, a couple of which include reviews stating that the receiver is a third-party knock off. The sellers are all in Japan, none are official or have much in the way of 'history', i.e. a large number of positive reviews (not that that's always a guarantee). In short, the above will (like all I've seen) be a cheap copy that may or may not work.

Microsoft no longer sell the official receiver as a standalone product. I don't know why, but they don't, and that's probably why nobody else does either. The only way to get hold of one is to buy a wireless controller for Windows or find somebody selling one secondhand.

Solution
Again, very likely counterfeit or a knock-off in some way.

All the "Official", "Authentic", "Genuine" receivers always seem to be found on eBay, Amazon and other relational e-retailers being sold by companies which appear to have little other presence. Never on big-name tried-and-trusted electronic retail sites. It's almost convincing the idea that it's been taken from a 360 controller box with the controller being sold separately, but when they're not selling controllers and they claim to have done this with over 6000 of them...

It's a case of buyer beware. It may or may not work, and if it works it may or may not last. I wouldn't put any money on it being official.

hayden_s

Distinguished
May 4, 2014

Alright thanks for the info; I will just buy a wired 360 controller because I know it'll work and it's not terribly expensive.