Best Wireless Solution for Gaming Desktop

Yare

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Hello,

I've recently moved into a two-floor house that is a little over 2000 square feet. Due to the layout of the house and the wiring of the cable in the house, we were required to install our modem and router in a second floor room on the edge of the house that is not the room which will contain my desktop computer. Instead, my desktop computer will be in a second floor room just down the hall and that is centrally located. My desktop has always had a wired connection to my router, so this has raised the question of how best to address the fact that I'll need to connect to the internet wirelessly. The desktop does not currently have a wireless adapter. My ISP, Spectrum, provides 100 Mbps of Internet service. The router in the side room where the modem is located will have a Roku plugged into it (and possibly a DVD player and a gaming system, though obviously all three would not be used at the same time).

Other devices that will be using the wireless system: one laptop computer, another Roku, and one or two cell phones.

Because I use the desktop for gaming and watching streaming video, I have two main concerns and one ancillary concern:

1) most consistent wireless connection for desktop
2) fastest wireless connection for desktop
3) make sure coverage to the house is complete---I haven't looked into this extensively, but using my cell phone, I saw that I was only getting 2 or 3 bars of wireless Internet on the other side of the house.

I currently have two ideas for how to solve this and wanted to get some input on what would be best.

Idea 1: Buy an Orbi system, place one of the satellites in the room with the desktop and plug my desktop into the satellite.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/systems.aspx

Idea 2: Buy an ASUS PCE-AC88, install it in my computer, and buy a wireless booster of some kind as needed. Basically, I would just connect wirelessly like a laptop normally does.

The adapter in question:

https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/PCE-AC88/

I'm just not tech-savvy enough to know which of these two solutions is going to give me what I want. Is plugging the computer into the Orbi's dedicated satellite better or should I just go with standard wireless technology in the form of the wireless adapter?

Money is a concern, but not a significant one---I want what best meets my three goals above. But if I'll get essentially the same outcome, I'll go with the cheaper option.

Thanks for your insights. If you need any more information, please let me know. My desktop's (relevant) system specs are the following (old, but trusty):

Motherboard: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 PCiE Video Graphics Card GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K (overclocked to about 4.2GHz)

Power Supply: XFX Core Edition PRO750W (P1-750S-NLB9) 750W ATX12V 2.2 & ESP12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior

SSD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

Yare

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I have not tried a powerline network adapter yet. Which one would you recommend?