Best z170 mobo with auto overclocking

defdj136

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I have been searching many reviews about motherboards and have not found any to answer this simple question. What is hands down the best z170 motherboard out there? All the reviews I have seen are from earlier this year(2015). Noting that a good deal of time has passed, there should be a better round up by now but I can't seem to find one. I am upgrading from: FX-8350 CPU cooled with CM Seidon 120, CPU O.C. to 4.3 Ghz stable by ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0; 16GB Corsair 1600Mhz LP memory, MSI GTX 980TI gaming 6G, cased in a CM HAF-922. I am currently interested in these mobo's; AS ROCK OC FORMULA, ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO or Sabertooth Z170, MSI Z170 GAMING M7 or TITANIUM, GIGABYTE G1 GAMING 7 or GT. I have looked at these because of the extensive amount of power headers (5 or more), they look cool, are future proof, they fit in my case, and can all apparently overclock well. My concern is with all the brand fanboys that have posted negative reviews about these on one issue or another. Now I'm just confused as to what to get. Not a big overclocker so I do prefer whatever the mobo can offer up front while I get my knowledge up. I plan on purchasing an I7 6700K, 16/32GB DDR4-3000 and a Corsair H100i and an ASUS PG279Q or ACER Predator line monitor for this new build.

Solution
I went the Hero (and love it), paired with a 6600K, 32GB of Trident Z 3200 and currently have a pair of 980 Strixs in it (going to get a 980Ti shortly so the 980s can go back to my Z97.

Been doing a lot of playing with it, different Coolers, DRAM and GPUs and it takes all I throw at it. OCs well, runs cool and has a great BIOS ;)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I went the Hero (and love it), paired with a 6600K, 32GB of Trident Z 3200 and currently have a pair of 980 Strixs in it (going to get a 980Ti shortly so the 980s can go back to my Z97.

Been doing a lot of playing with it, different Coolers, DRAM and GPUs and it takes all I throw at it. OCs well, runs cool and has a great BIOS ;)

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My personal opinion on this. I would never spend that kind of money on a motherboard unless you need specific features. The savings could be put into the video card for real world performance increase. Future proofing buying a motherboard is not going to happen your already buying the latest i7 processor so by the time you need to upgrade you will need a new board anyhow.
Never use software (auto overclock) for a instant overclock!!!!!!!!!!
Your average user don't need to try to tweak a extra 0.2 out of his overclock.
For a 6700K I would buy this and never give it a second thought.
Overclocks check
Overclocks memory check
SLI or Xfire check.
M2 support check
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128837