[SOLVED] Best Z590 motherboard for overclocking i5-11600K

hishara1999

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2015
I have Core i5-11600K CPU, I want to overclock it to some extent (not extreme overclocking). I want to overclock all core base frequency to 4.50 Ghz. All core turbo speed should be at least 5.0 GHz.

I'm interested in following motherboards.
(Price in our country listed in USD)

Asus TUF Gaming Z590-PLUS WIFI - $302
MSI Z590-A PRO - $245
Gigabyte Z590 UD - $222

Which one is best from those motherboards? (considering price and performance)

Solution
Z590 motherboards will have various features.
They all will perform similarly up to a point.
Look at comparison reviews.

Some will have wifi or not.
Some will have dp, hdmi, or both.
If your monitor only has hdmi, I would pick a different motherboard with hdmi output.
Some are big on RGB features; not for me.
One place where there can be a real difference is in the voltage regulation.
They can get hot, so I would look for a motherboard with more than minimal vrm heat sinks.
Any should have a 8 + 4 power connection. Overclocking oriented units will have 8+8, possibly more.
One simple feature which might be of importance to you would be the number and types of usb ports on the i/o panel. Some have too few.

On overclocking, you will...
Overclocking current gen processors is largely not productive.
Processors are binned. If your 11600K was binned better, it would have been used in a 11700K or a 11900k.
The turbo mechanism is normally a better way to get best overall performance.
See that your cpu cooling is capable to get the best turbo on a couple of cores.

If your main use is a batch app that can use all 12 threads, only then is overclocking likely to benefit.

On motherboard, you are likely to work equally well with any of them.

Reactions: hishara1999

hishara1999

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2015
Thanks for helping me understand what is CPU binning.
I like to go with Gigabyte Z590 UD. But I keep thinking why it doesn't have HDMI out.

So, does 'not productive' mean I cannot get a significant performance increase by overclocking i5-11600K?

If I manage to increase its base clock to 4.50 GHz, can I get more fps in demanding games?

Z590 motherboards will have various features.
They all will perform similarly up to a point.
Look at comparison reviews.

Some will have wifi or not.
Some will have dp, hdmi, or both.
If your monitor only has hdmi, I would pick a different motherboard with hdmi output.
Some are big on RGB features; not for me.
One place where there can be a real difference is in the voltage regulation.
They can get hot, so I would look for a motherboard with more than minimal vrm heat sinks.
Any should have a 8 + 4 power connection. Overclocking oriented units will have 8+8, possibly more.
One simple feature which might be of importance to you would be the number and types of usb ports on the i/o panel. Some have too few.

On overclocking, you will have the ability to try and see if it helps YOUR games.
I am guessing not much, games are usually limited by your graphics card.

It is probably more productive to buy a very good cpu cooler like the Noctua NH-D15s as well as a case with good air intake capability.
Turbo can best happen if temperatures are <70c.

On coolers, only a 360 type aio can cool better.
But, by the time you pay for a top 360 aio, you could simply pay more for a 11700k.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS