[SOLVED] Bestbudget CPU air cooler.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi!

I have a ryzen 5 3600 and still have th stock cooler. I want noticably better cooling performance with a budget of 40 euros (Belgium). Does anyone now what would be the best option for me? Just know that my case (Cooler Master Q300P is pretty small and my previous cooler did not fit... Also I'm using an ASRock B450 Steel legend.

Thanks!

Solution
But still my real question is, new case or cpu cooler upgrade?
i would go for both. and these are items that can last through multiple builds so it is something i would usually put more money towards.
i've been keeping an eye out for better looking cases with better options for a bit now.

a shopping list of some of the best options, though many are out of stock at the moment due to outbreak. any of them will provide good airflow and better features than most:

https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/md/34786767?SortBy=2
if getting a new case; i would wait for the new CPU cooler until you've decided which so you can determine what size/type cooler will be best for the new case.
check your case specifications in the user manual or the manufacturer product page. it will detail the maximum height for a CPU cooler.

then search online retailers for coolers in that size range that will fit your budget.
post any you find here and members can give you their thoughts on the best option.

Last edited:
What do you hope to gain by a aftermarket cooler?
Noise reduction?
Higher overclock?
Looks?
The best you are going to do with your budget is a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan like the cm hyper212 in one of it's variations.
But, I do not know how much of an improvement in cooling you would get.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
That case looks kinda hot and not in the "wow shes hot" - way of things.
The clearance of 158 mm allows for installation of the Scythe Fuma 2. Great cooler for arround 50 bucks. Anything cheaper will not be a significant improvement over stock I would presume.

WildCard999

Titan
For within budget for better cooling and quieter then stock this would be my choice.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler (€39.95 @ Bytes At Work)
Total: €39.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-09 18:18 CEST+0200

As far as how much better it'll be I wouldn't know those numbers.

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
"Cooler Master Q300P"
Oh no, not this case again...

You're better off investing in a different M-ATX case than trying to replace the stock cooler.
I know, it has bad airflow and I do not like the case. But still, I'm talking about CPU temps and I dont think that a case replacement would give me better CPU temps than an actual CPU cooler upgrade.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
What do you hope to gain by a aftermarket cooler?
Noise reduction?
Higher overclock?
Looks?
The best you are going to do with your budget is a tower type cooler with a 120mm fan like the cm hyper212 in one of it's variations.
But, I do not know how much of an improvement in cooling you would get.
Looks are important but with important I mean, no crazy colors just black would be nice. Also noise is important, it has to be better than the stock cooler I have

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The cpu's boost clocks are determined by power and thermal headroom.
With that Fuma 2, it will notice it has extra thermal headroom and try to push higher frequencies within it's 'comfort zone', increasing power consumption and thermals to where the new cooler appears to yield similar performance to the stock.

And if I would get a new case like this one (https://www.antec.com/product/case/dp301m.php) will it be better than a new cooler?
With that particular case:
-There appear to be some QC issues with that case. Check the negative Newegg and Amazon reviews.
-That psu shroud is going to be a problem with more power hungry gpus.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
The cpu's boost clocks are determined by power and thermal headroom.
With that Fuma 2, it will notice it has extra thermal headroom and try to push higher frequencies within it's 'comfort zone', increasing power consumption and thermals to where the new cooler appears to yield similar performance to the stock.

With that particular case:
-There appear to be some QC issues with that case. Check the negative Newegg and Amazon reviews.
-That psu shroud is going to be a problem with more power hungry gpus.
So what Micro ATX case do you recommend to me? Sorry I don't know a lot about CPU thermals and stuff.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
The Fractal Design Focus G is a good MATX or ATX (comes in both sizes) case that the stock cooling is good but allows for additional fans. Cable management isn't the best but is doable for a semi or fully modular PSU.
But all my other temps are good. I'm just not happy about CPU temps, does a case replacement really do more than an actual cooler upgrade?