[SOLVED] Bestbudget CPU air cooler.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
Hi!

I have a ryzen 5 3600 and still have th stock cooler. I want noticably better cooling performance with a budget of 40 euros (Belgium). Does anyone now what would be the best option for me? Just know that my case (Cooler Master Q300P is pretty small and my previous cooler did not fit... Also I'm using an ASRock B450 Steel legend.

Thanks!

Solution
But still my real question is, new case or cpu cooler upgrade?
i would go for both. and these are items that can last through multiple builds so it is something i would usually put more money towards.
i've been keeping an eye out for better looking cases with better options for a bit now.

a shopping list of some of the best options, though many are out of stock at the moment due to outbreak. any of them will provide good airflow and better features than most:

https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/md/34786767?SortBy=2
if getting a new case; i would wait for the new CPU cooler until you've decided which so you can determine what size/type cooler will be best for the new case.

WildCard999

Titan
What are you using to monitor the temps? Many of the 3rd party software doesn't show the right temps which is why I recommended Ryzen Master & HWmonitor.

If the 89-90C temps are correct you may need to reseat the CPU cooler as it still shouldn't be that high. I had another user who was using the Ryzen 3600/stock cooler, had a room temp of 36C and was still (barely) able to keep the CPU under 80C.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
What are you using to monitor the temps? Many of the 3rd party software doesn't show the right temps which is why I recommended Ryzen Master & HWmonitor.

If the 89-90C temps are correct you may need to reseat the CPU cooler as it still shouldn't be that high. I had another user who was using the Ryzen 3600/stock cooler, had a room temp of 36C and was still (barely) able to keep the CPU under 80C.
I've used HWMonitor and I still have 90C

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
It shouldn't, thermal paste should easily last a couple of years. I replace mine yearly but that's because I enjoy working on the system and accidentally bought a 20g bottle of MX-5 :pt1cable:
Lol how can you accidentally buy 20g of thermal paste haha. But than what should I do? Take the cooler off and put it back on and make sure all the screws are thight?

Iniaskle

Commendable
Mar 5, 2019
It shouldn't, thermal paste should easily last a couple of years. I replace mine yearly but that's because I enjoy working on the system and accidentally bought a 20g bottle of MX-5 :pt1cable:
But still my real question is, new case or cpu cooler upgrade? VRM and GPU temps are pretty good, even if reseating the cooler fixes my high temps, I would still want to get a new cpu cooler

WildCard999

Titan
Lol how can you accidentally buy 20g of thermal paste haha. But than what should I do? Take the cooler off and put it back on and make sure all the screws are thight?
Not pay attention to the amount or price... the difference was like $5 for 5g and like $12 for 20g so it was a better deal anyways.

Yes, take the cooler off, clean off the paste, add new paste and ensure the cooler is installed correctly.

But still my real question is, new case or cpu cooler upgrade?
i would go for both. and these are items that can last through multiple builds so it is something i would usually put more money towards.
i've been keeping an eye out for better looking cases with better options for a bit now.

a shopping list of some of the best options, though many are out of stock at the moment due to outbreak. any of them will provide good airflow and better features than most:

https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/md/34786767?SortBy=2
if getting a new case; i would wait for the new CPU cooler until you've decided which so you can determine what size/type cooler will be best for the new case.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Amd and Intel are competition. They've been arguing for far too many years as to which way is better. Intel settled on performance over temps, if the cpu says 4.4GHz turbo, that's what you get, but you better have a good cooler or temps skyrocket into the 90's. So naturally AMD does it backwards to that design and favor temps over performance. The 3700x Will boost to 4.4GHz, if you have the cooler for it, if you don't, when temps hit above 70ish, you get 4.3GHz. If temps would hit 80ish, it'll only boost to 4.2GHz etc. Intel doesn't care if you cook the cpu, AMD does.

So if you get temps of 80ish with the Prism, you're likely about 4.1-4.2 GHz. The Noctua NH U12S is a superior cooler and when seeing temps of 80ish,your cpu is more likely at 4.3-4.4GHz instead.

It's a different way of looking at things. AMD will continue boosting upto maximum as long as temps are OK, Intel will downclock if temps are not ok (ok according to Intel, not you)
I really like how this person worded it, so I posted this quote here. THIS is what I was getting at, and why I went with changing the case over the cpu cooler.