BestConfigs: Budget Intel-Based Gaming PC

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Lunyone's "Got to have Good Gaming on a (Realistic) Budget"

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $529.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

* Mobo comes with onboard USB 3.0 ports, so you can utilize the USB 3.0 front ports on the case listed!
* RAM is fast enough for just about anything you need (1600 mHz) and runs at stock Voltage of 1.5v and is Cas 9 speed!
* HD has plenty of storage to begin with. Just add an SSD if you want to speed up boot times and/or snappier movement within Windows!
* The GPU is plenty for the Intel CPU listed and will perform quite well under all current games!
* Case comes with....count them, 3!! Yes 3 120mm fans to cool the system and also has 2 x USB 3.0 Front ports to keep things transferring quickly!
* The PSU comes w/1 x 6 pin PCI-e power connector, so it'll plenty of power for the 7850 GPU! 30A of power on the combined 12v rail (used mainly for GPU power).

So there you have it! Budget Gaming on a Budget price!!

lp231

Splendid

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
hapkido's "I wish I had $50 more" build
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K $219.99
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 $89.99
RAM: ADATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 $36.99
Graphics Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 $359.99
Hard Drive 1: Kingston SSDNow V+200 120GB SATA III SSD $89.99
Hard Drive 2: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 320GB 7200 RPM $49.99
Case: NZXT Source 210 $39.99
Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 450W Continuous 80 PLUS GOLD $59.99
Cooling: COOLER MASTER Hyper N 520 $34.99
DVD Burner: SAMSUNG DVD Burner $17.99

Total: $999.90 (before shipping and mail-in-rebates)

Lunyone's "I just need a bit more speed than a Budget friendly Build!"

Upgraded parts from original "Budget Build" that I posted before, are:
* CPU upgraded a bit
* HD upgraded to SSD!
* GPU upgraded a little over a step up!
* PSU upgraded to handle more GPU power!

Gaming build on a more affluent budget!

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($125.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.73 @ Amazon)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($214.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.49 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $781.15

* CPU is one of the best in this price range and performs quite well in gaming!
* Mobo has onboard USB 3.0 ports, to take advantage of the Front USB 3.0 ports on the case listed!
* RAM runs at stock voltage of 1.5V's and at 1600 mHz speed @ CAS 9!
* SSD is one of the faster ones out there and also has quite a bit of room for several games and applications (at 250 gb's of space before format and Windows install). This will keep things snappy in and around Windows!
* One of the better GPU's for the $/perfomance out there! Hard to beat around this price range!
* Case has 3 x 120 mm fans INCLUDED! and also comes with 2 x USB 3.0 front ports! Most cases around this price range only include 1 or 2 fans and most don't have front USB 3.0 ports!
* PSU is 80 + Bronze Certified at 40 degrees C!!! Also is modular, keeps cable clutter down and airflow up! Has 38A on the 12v rail and comes w/1 x 6 pin & 1 x 6+2 pin PCI-e power connectors for any single GPU out there!

So there you have it! Gaming on a Moderate budget build!

obrada

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Thanks a lot!! I was looking for this kind of build for $600. I only had to replace the SSD for an HDD to meet my budget. My only question is that if I don't need any cooling?

Thanks again!

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

you can just use stock you can also change the board to an H77 board instead to save money

SuzumiyaHaruhi

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Haruhi's Let's take advantage of sales build

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H LGA 1155 Z77 mATX Intel Moth ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Samsung 4GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.42 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Diablotek EVO Mid Tower ATX Computer Case ($39.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)

TOTAL: $657.34

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

too bad stores are limited to amazon and newegg. Also 2x4GB=8GB the tower is not that great

steffkelly

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Is there any update on when the best rig will be announced? Im looking to build my first self build and have decided to go with whatever wins here. Im actually dying to start buying parts :D

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

just made a new thread on how much you want to spend and what it will be used for. There are many types of builds on this thread which may be hurt full if you wanted to do "this and this" and the build that you choose would do something different.

Stock cooling is just fine for about 90% of people's needs (mild OC'ing included, if you had the option to OC the CPU listed). You can adjust just about any of the parts I listed, if you need your system to fit a tighter budget. I have a $530 build listed above the one you linked. It has a Pentium CPU, 7850 1 gb GPU, & 1 TB HD, but it is about the same as this build (oh and the PSU is different).

kilaman24

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
The Hot Mess

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Ed 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($31.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Beta (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.48 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.89 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $720.29
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-27 16:43 EST-0500)

dscudella

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012

Nice build but you have to stick to Amazon & Newegg for components.

Awal_5280

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
AW's "First build and first build with my son" basic gaming system

Just finished building this system last night. It was the first system I've ever built, and I built it with my 11 year old son who wanted an entry-level gaming system and paid for a good bit of it (the rest came from "Santa").

The interesting thing is, we built this system for $599.90 actual price we paid out the door. All of the components were bought at Microcenter. The big differences were that we got the MB for $59.99 (which included a $40 discount for buying it with an Intel CPU and a $10 rebate), and we got the GPU for $161.96 (which was on sale and included a $20 rebate).

My son can upgrade the CPU pretty easily or add an SSD some day when he gets some money shoveling snow and cutting lawns.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uZd1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uZd1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uZd1/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Toshiba 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($27.00 @ Compuvest)
Total: $715.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-30 10:40 EST-0500)

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

You could have gotten a 1TB drive for like $3 more, i myself would also change the PSU to something like XFX 550W just to be a bit safer since i don't really trust OCZ brand name. Also would have changed to board into something lower priced since the i3 can't overclock

adamlee06

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Processor: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Gene Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Graphics Card: XFX Double D Radeon HD 7870 2GB GHz Edition Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($76.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Cooling: Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
DVD Burner: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1007.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-30 17:16 EST-0500)

Base Total: $1045.91
Combo Discounts: -$18.00
Mail-in Rebates: -$30.00
Shipping: $9.99
Total excluding shipping (as per rules): $997.91

Disclaimer: All following information is my personal opinion, and as such is not law. Enjoy :D

First and foremost, understand that this build is focused on getting the best gaming experience for your money while maintaining a well-rounded balance throughout the build using only the highest quality and proven components in this budget frame.

Quality, Performance, Stability > Quantity (ie: overkill power supplies, excessive RAM or graphics cards, SSD's, etc)

It should be noted that this build focuses entirely on in-game performance and as such does not include the addition of a solid state drive as it will have no impact on game play (with the exception of load times). As the current rate of GB per dollar has been steadily dropping, the addition of an SSD as a future upgrade is very affordable option.

As for the components used, each component will be analyzed for the reasoning behind selection for this system build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K

Anyone who's been considering building a modern gaming PC for 2012 has at least considered Intel's Core i5 series, and for good reason. The latest additions to the family are based on the recently released "Ivy Bridge" architecture, which is a die-shrink of Intel's previous powerhouse of a design, "Sandy Bridge". Ivy Bridge brings a smaller fabrication process (22nm vs Sandy's 32nm) resulting in lower power consumption and thereby better thermal efficiency, higher per-clock efficiency, as well as more powerful integrated graphics on many of its chips. Although this last point has almost no impact on our processor choice, it will however tie into a pretty cool feature on our motherboard selection which we'll cover shortly. As you already know, we've chosen the quad-core i5-3570K for our build. While it may just look like a jumble of numbers and letters, the K on the end is very important. It signifies that our processor is one of the "unlocked" variants from Intel which will allow us very precise control for overclocking, and overclock we shall. As many games rely heavily on the CPU and not just the graphics card, the faster we can turn our processor up, the better!

CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

We have our high performance, overclock-ready processor, so we have to be able to keep that sucker cool! While you could go with a less-expensive air-cooling solution, we've opted to use water-cooling. Corsair's H80 system is a closed-loop, zero maintenance water-cooling solution that's proved very effective in the overclocking community. There's no filling, no separate reservoirs, as well as no custom fittings to install in your system. You simply mount the one piece CPU cooling block/pump to your processor like any other cooler, mount the radiator/fan assembly to your preferred location in your case at either the rear-exhaust fan mount or top mounting position if your case has one (ours does), and go! It's that simple, and far more efficient than standard air-cooling solutions.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene

We've chosen ASUS's Maximus V Gene for a list of reasons. Although we could do an entire article on the features and layout of this board, we'll stick to the most most prominent features. Primarily, it sports the Z77 chipset which we'll be using to overclock our CPU and RAM. But that really doesn't set the Maximus V Gene apart from a plethora of motherboards designed for that same purpose, so what does? Most importantly, ASUS is well known as one of the top makers of reliable motherboards and has great customer support. It also has a very cool and easy to use EUFI Bios which allows you to make bios changes using not just your keyboard but also your mouse. No more confusing, cryptic blue and white bios screens. There's much more to the EUFI bios than that, but we'll leave it at that for now. The Gene also has a very reliable and sturdy power-delivery setup to make sure your CPU and RAM are given clean, steady power. There are also test-buttons built onto the motherboard itself to run self-checks, boot the system, and even roll-back the bios in case you've adjusted your CPU or RAM settings too high to stably boot - no more removing the CMOS battery or using those hard-to-position jumpers surrounded by components. One of the features that sets this board far apart from many other Z77 boards is its use of the SupremeFX III integrated audio solution. While the SupremeFX III is technically integrated onto the board, it's essentially a dedicated sound card that's been implemented in a way as not to take up an expansion slot. It still provides high quality, amplified 8 channel audio. There's even a cool isolation layer designed to inhibit interference from other components, keeping your sound clear and crisp; the isolation layer even lights up red when the system is on, as a cool visual perk. Previously we mentioned the i5-3570K's upgraded integrated graphics and that we'd be mentioning them while talking about the motherboard. While we won't be using this as our primary graphics solution, the Maximus V Gene has a feature called "LucidLogix Virtu" which allows the integrated graphics and dedicated graphics card to work in tandem under various situations, providing a boost to graphics performance in some situations. While the board is of the MicroATX variety and only sports 2 PCI-E x16 slots, as well as a 1x slot, for this build that's really all you need. It allows you the option to run a Crossfire setup in the future should you decide to go that route, and there's really no need for a dedicated sound card as we've got that covered already. You may lose the ability to run a PCI-E wireless or Bluetooth card in your system should you decide to run a Crossfire setup, but most gamers are going to prefer a hard-lined connection via their Ethernet port instead of wireless, as to ensure the best online experience.

Memory: 8GB Samsung DDR3-1600mhz (2x4GB)

While its not your mainstream "gamer" or "high performance" ram, this Samsung ram is truly amazing. So much so, that it's been considered one of the lesser-known gems in today's massive component market. First, running the 2 stick setup is going to ensure you're keeping the processor's dual-channel internal memory controller running as efficiently as possible, while also not taxing it voltage wise. Second, and complimenting our first point, these sticks are rated to run at 1.35 voltage on stock settings and have been used safely up to 1.65 volts. This is going to cut down the stress of the CPU's aforementioned IMC, lower overall power consumption in your build, run cooler due to the 30nm process used to manufacture these sticks, and they don't require any of those bulky heat-spreaders. Oh yeah, although these sticks are "rated" at 1600 mhz, they are some of the easiest and stable overclocking RAM available today. Often achieving 2133 mhz and higher speeds with very good timings, these things really can't be beaten for their reliability, stability, and price. This RAM is truly the best ram for the money available if you plan on overclocking, which we are!

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 7200 RPM Hard Drive, 1TB

Although there's not much reason to go into detail on this drive, it does provide a solid 1TB of storage, uses the standard 7200 RPM spindle for fast access and write times, and has a massive 64mb cache to further speed up the drives performance. On top of all that, Western Digital is known for its excellent customer support and warranty, and also has one of the lowest fail-rates out of HDD manufacturers.

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 Ghz Edition 2GB

As with our motherboard, you could do an entire article on this card. As such, we'll stick to the highlights. The AMD Radeon HD 7870 is arguably the performance-per-value king at the moment, as for good reason. It's very strong. This 7870 has 2GB of on-board GDDR5 RAM allowing you to turn up picture quality, and that ram is running on a 256-bit bus so you won't be bottle necked there. XFX's Double D cooling solution is quiet and very efficient. Many of these cards also have very good overclocking potential. Lastly, this card from XFX sports a LIFETIME warranty, which is very impressive. This 7870 should handle nearly anything you throw at it.

Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold, 650watts

One of the most overlooked, yet important, components in any PC build is the power supply. SeaSonic is known as one of the best manufacturers there is, and many professional reviewers recommend this exact unit. Rocking the 80Plus Gold certification means this this PS is efficient, not to mention this thing is quiet. Its fully modular, allowing for great cable management if you want a clean-looking interior on your PC. Although 650 watts may be overkill for this builds configuration, this unit was selected for a couple of reasons. We've already mentioned its a great and highly recommended unit from a reputable maker, so that's one. Next, at $90 this 650 watt, fully modular, high-accessory count power supply with a gold rating from a reputable manufacturer makes this a no brainer. However, the main reason we went with this unit and not a lower-wattage unit is that this one gives us that extra headroom for an additional 7870 should you decide to get another down the road and want to run them in Crossfire. But why this exact model, and not other 650 watt model? the X650 has four PCI-E power connectors. Since each 7870 requires 2 of these, without at least 4 PCI-E power adapters from your power supply you'd be out of luck. This one has you covered in all departments.

Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

There's really not much to say here. For the most part a DVD burner is just that, something you're going to use to read optical media and burn CD/DVDs. Why this exact model was chosen however is that its faceplate is very clean and clear of any high-contrast lettering or logos on it, keeping your PC looking sleek. To many people, myself included, this is a very important factor in making a selection for a disk drive.

Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite

The case choice was saved for last for good reason. Everybody wants to pick out a case that suits their build requirements and aesthetic needs, that's always going to be the case....no pun intended. However, since a case was needed for our build's budget, I chose the NZXT Tempest 410 Elite for a variety of reasons. It's a classic black, has a sleek look, and provides excellent airflow. It also allows the power supply to be mounted at the bottom of the case, providing cooler temperatures inside the unit and the ability to draw air in from underneath the case should you desire (if you go this route, be careful if your PC sits on thick carpet!). It also allows for good cable management, and positions the hard drive bays for optimal cooling from the 2 front mounted 120mm fans. These hard drive bays allow you to mount standard 3.5in HDDs but also have provisions to install 2.5in SSDs without the need for additional hardware, a very convenient and often overlooked design point. Aesthetically, there's a very simple and sleek window allowing you to show off your components if you wish; after all, the Maximus V Gene is a great looking board, especially with the illuminated red isolation layer. Speaking of looking inside the case, the inside is painted black as well. The front 3.5 drive bays are quick-release, all internal bays use a sturdy tool-less design, and the entire front of the case where most of your air will be drawn in from has a foam dust filtration system to help control dust accumulation. The front 120mm fans are also quick release allowing you easy access when installing storage drives, and use a contact-based power system instead of having to deal with wires hanging off of them. There is a small storage area near the front on top of the case, which is great for keeping track of thumb drives for example. Also on top, there is a removable filter giving access to more fan mounting positions which can be used to install a radiator for a water cooling setup, which we just so happen to have with this build. This will allow us to expel exhaust heat up and out of case more efficiently than through the rear. Along with your standard Power and Reset buttons, there are activity lights as well as 3 USB 2.0 ports, a single USB 3.0 port, and headphone and mic ports. The front USB 3.0 port will use an internal header to connect to our board and not a pass-through design; this helps keep things very clean.

Awal_5280

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012

Good points. I ended up with the Z77 in case my son decides to upgrade to a 3570k or some other chip with the ability to be over-clocked. With all the rebates, the mb was <$60, and my recollection was that you had to get a Z77 chipset to qualify for the $40 off.

I got the HD for meaningfully less than the PCpartpicker price. If it were for me, I would have got more storage, but for him (I would have bought an SSD) I had to economize as much as possible.

I relied on the salesman at Microcenter on the OCZ PS. I really didn't know about their bad rep. I'm going to be upset if it fails. I think it does have a 3 year warranty, so we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.

It depends on the model. Some from OCZ are trash, some from OCZ are mid-ranged, and some from OCZ are very good along with a few stragglers between the three generalizations.

The problem with JohnnyGuru is that it doesn't give you failure rates. They give a lot of information on the PSU, but there's nothing that you can do to get failure rates out of a single unit being tested.

Also, considering how easy it is to get a 7 or higher at JohnnyGuru, I'd consider a five out of ten to be junk if we went strictly by the information provided by such sites. If we go by a standard F-D-C-B-A grading scale, 50% is an F for failure. The few models that are even lower than that are even worse junk.

boulbox

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

Thanks for the info, since i don't go to Jonnyguru and i saw 5 stars i was like WHAT how could they give 5 out of 5 to such junk

JonnyGuru grades on a 10 scale, so if he had given it a 5 out of 10, I would definitely steer clear of that PSU. Generally I look up several review sites and make an informed decision. JonnyGuru does quite a good job, IMHO, so if he has it at an 8 or better, it is probably a good chance the PSU will do well for several years.
Also another thing to look at is the warranty period that the PSU is covered at. If it's at least 3 yrs (5 yrs is better) there is a good chance that the PSU is decent. Most PSU's that only have a 1 year warranty are probably junk and should be thrown off the purchase list.