BestConfigs Poll Results: Your Winning Builds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shneiky

Distinguished
@nucanuca,

I guess you have no idea what you are talking about. GTX 580 is Fermi based. Fermi was the last architecture that nVidia did not cripple for acceleration. Kepler had more or less double the CUDA cores of comparable Fermi card, running at lower speed (the CUDA cores run on frequency different than the GPU itself). Sadly nVidia crippled all Kepler and above architectures via drivers for professional software acceleration. All Kepler GTXs barely reach 50 or 25% load in Premier during load. In a lot of benchmarks GTX 580 beats 680 and 780 in acceleration. A lot of users even complained in downgraded performance when going from 570 to 680. nVidia made the 500 cards a beast of an accelerators so it cut their Quadro sales. If you don't trust me - go and search on other websites. People specially using Premier still hold to their 500 cards specifically for this reason.

And just to end it up:

http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS6-GPU-Acceleration-162/

Do your research, test it by yourself and then talk. GTX 580 is a very different case than a 600 or 700 or 900 series. But sadly, you cant buy 580s anymore, else I was going to first in line.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I had asked about the best sound for a pc.. I just bought Aperion's bluetooth small two way powered speakers, with sub.. and soundblaster card.. talk about great streaming sound.. he (shutters) I had been using powered speakers for years with the pc.. you wouldn't believe how many types of powered speakers there are.. thousands.. mine are considered to be in the top five. Good for gaming and streaming movies.. Just recently got a sony platform also self powered for the TV.. only bad thAng.. got 4 remotes.. sitting on the desk..

r0llinlacs

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
I had asked about the best sound for a pc.. I just bought Aperion's bluetooth small two way powered speakers, with sub.. and soundblaster card.. talk about great streaming sound.. he (shutters) I had been using powered speakers for years with the pc.. you wouldn't believe how many types of powered speakers there are.. thousands.. mine are considered to be in the top five. Good for gaming and streaming movies.. Just recently got a sony platform also self powered for the TV.. only bad thAng.. got 4 remotes.. sitting on the desk..

The best sound for a PC.... will never be PC speakers. PC's have audio outputs just the same as any other media device, so there's no sense being stuck in the "I must have PC speakers because it's a PC" mindstate. I use a 7.2 channel receiver with full surround sound, 24bit/192khz digital audio with Harmon Kardon surround speakers and a 500watt RMS sub amp with a 12" subwoofer housed in a transmission line enclosure that I built tuned to 29hz. There is never any excuse to skimp on sound when it comes to PC's, and there is never any excuse to buy the gimmicky junk PC speakers being peddled out there. It doesn't matter whether I'm watching a youtube video, playing a game, listening to music, or watching a movie, I know it will sound good. Games are my personal favorite though because the environment is alive and good surround sound helps bring it to life.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
sure I could have gone with a receiver and bigger speakers.. and surround sound.. but my room is small.. stereo with a sub.. is enough.. sound pretty good.. if I move into a larger place.. I will then upgrade.. for the time being.. I am content..

Status
Not open for further replies.