[SOLVED] BETA BIOS for B450 Tomahawk labeled 1A1 shows CPU error

Jul 26, 2019
B450 Tomahawk and Ryzen 5 3600 shows CPU error LED some time and boots normally otherwise. Numerically, it will not boot 2 out of 5 attempts. What is the solution?

• CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: B450 Tomahawk
  • BIOS version: BETA BIOS for B450 Tomahawk labeled 1A1

Solution
There doesn't seem to exist a sure quick fix.
I have had a similar problem with that mobo model and a Ryzen 5 3600X.
At first the mobo didn't accept the CPU at all. Then after some fiddling I got ot to run stable with BIOS version 18.
Five days later the old problem was back, and re-installing the BIOS didn't help.
Yesterday I got it to run after upgrading to BIOS version 1A.

That new CPU run fine in my older Gigabyte motherboard, and the Tomahawk seems to have no problem with my Ryzen 5 1600.

JBHapgood

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
The solution is to not use the Beta BIOS. A Beta BIOS is never guaranteed stable.

According to the site your board should support that CPU with BIOS version 180. I would go to the latest stable release and not the Beta release.

There is now a released BIOS version 1A. It has helped some people on MSI's forums, but not everyone.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
There doesn't seem to exist a sure quick fix.
I have had a similar problem with that mobo model and a Ryzen 5 3600X.
At first the mobo didn't accept the CPU at all. Then after some fiddling I got ot to run stable with BIOS version 18.
Five days later the old problem was back, and re-installing the BIOS didn't help.
Yesterday I got it to run after upgrading to BIOS version 1A.

That new CPU run fine in my older Gigabyte motherboard, and the Tomahawk seems to have no problem with my Ryzen 5 1600.

Solution

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I can report some further progress on my part:
The solution was to replace the CPU with another one.
Neither the (original) CPU nor the motherboard are "not functional", but it seems like some (mostly) MSI B450 and X470 motherboards have issues with some individual 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.