News Beta BIOS Lets You Prioritize CCDs on AMD's 7000X3D CPUs

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Not sure what to think about this. Maybe going a bit too far? I mean, what's next? Will we be able to tweak the microcode and remove instructions we don't use? Will getting rid of the excess x86 micro-bloat make it go faster? That would be a better path... give me a stripped RISC version of the x86.

fevanson

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
The more options exposed for tweaking in the bios the better. Locked bioses can limit you once the platform becomes older.

But no report on what these algorithms look for or do...
The potential for users to screw up and lose a lot of performance is much higher than them being able to eek out more performance.

Intel an MS together and the results are not that great, end users by themselves?!
Maybe it just goes by utilization so anything that doesn't use much CPU just goes to the cache ccd, but low thread count apps also benefit from high clocks.

dalek1234

Reputable
Sep 27, 2019
Being able to force a specific CCD in BIOS makes sense in case the CCD-assigning algorithem doesn't get it right. What would be really cool if you could do the assigning in the OS (Windows in my case), that way I wouldn't need to shut down the PC to get into the BIOS. I wouldn't be surprised if you will eventually be able to do this in Windows.

Now, when Tom's tests these CPUs, they will probably chose the non-3D-chace CCD when testing games, and the 3D-cache CCD for other test, just to make Intel look better. LOL....sad and funny at the same time.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
This sounds like it has a lot of potential to fix CCD assignment issues.

What would be really good is if AMD copied what Intel did with their legacy game mode where you could toggle the use of E-cores with the scroll lock button (useful with Alder, not much gain with Raptor where everything is sorted out), except with AMD it would be some way to choose CCD priority. That way one could easily switch if they had a performance loss.

Maybe something like: alt1 for 3d priority, alt2 for non3d priority, alt3 for just 3d, alt4 for just non. With the last 2 because Windows will probably still behave undesirably in some uses.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Being able to force a specific CCD in BIOS makes sense in case the CCD-assigning algorithem doesn't get it right. What would be really cool if you could do the assigning in the OS (Windows in my case), that way I wouldn't need to shut down the PC to get into the BIOS. I wouldn't be surprised if you will eventually be able to do this in Windows.

Now, when Tom's tests these CPUs, they will probably chose the non-3D-chace CCD when testing games, and the 3D-cache CCD for other test, just to make Intel look better. LOL....sad and funny at the same time.

I bet Tom's will use whatever is default for simplicity and standard reference and Windows will choose the wrong CCD based on what other processors used and make the performance erratic and underwhelming.

That's why AMD is coming up with solutions, because there is a problem.

With Alder/ Raptor Windows could just assign priority tasks to fastest cores and low priority to slow cores. That is a fairly universal approach. What do you do if a process may or may not run faster on the slower cores depending on the particular task? Sounds like something that could only really be solved on a task by task basis. Too much trouble doing that with Process Lasso for most so maybe an in OS hotkey?

"...the Ryzen 9 7950X3D in particular is rumored to have lower frequencies on its V-Cache CCD than the cheaper 7800X3D has..."
This line stood out to me.

7800X3D is the one to get for gaming. Looks like they're keeping the higher binned CCDs for the 7800X3D CPU, or it's faster due to lower thermals (one less heat-producing CCD), or both.

farmageddon85

Reputable
Feb 25, 2020
"...the Ryzen 9 7950X3D in particular is rumored to have lower frequencies on its V-Cache CCD than the cheaper 7800X3D has..."
This line stood out to me.

7800X3D is the one to get for gaming. Looks like they're keeping the higher binned CCDs for the 7800X3D CPU, or it's faster due to lower thermals (one less heat-producing CCD), or both.
will there be a new roll out of new am5 boards to go with the 7800x3d? im building a new pc and im holding off on gpu mobo and cpu but plan on getting the 7800x3d