Beta DirectDraw Expired Problem

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
When I am running something that requires direct3d, a little window comes up that says "DirectDraw Beta Expired, Please Update". I have tried reinstalling Directx, etc. But it still pops up. What do I need to update?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I just experienced the same problem myself. There are 2 solutions, 1. Reformat your harddrive and reinstall everything and then install direct x 8.0a ( the only officialrelease of the 8.x series) or 2. get a copy of dxun13 a direct x uninstaller and try to remove direct x 8.1 beta that way and reinstall direct x 8.0a. If you do this you may run into registry problems (I did) that disable agp 2x or 4x support and possibly other problems. I got around this in win98 se by going to a dos prompt, (after 8.0a reinstall) type scanreg /restore, choose a backed up file from before the removal of directx 8.1 and restore it ..you will get an error message that you replaced certain files with ones that are older so you will need to reboot. (ddraw is one of these files) you should now have the dxdiag from 8.1 but inspection of the actual files in that tab show you are running dx8.0a final release files.. worked for me but the only real solution to avoid future conflicts \ problems is back up your data files, reformat and reinstall everything EXCEPT dx 8.1 beta

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>