Bethesda Blows Off Steam With 'Fallout 76'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most gamers like the idea of having a ingle platform to hold all their games. There are those that may dislike Steam but the convenience of having access to every game you purchase in a single place without having to worry about where the game disk or game product key is is a huge boon to PC gaming.

Then to add on top there is the community which allows for people to easily communicate, rate or share information about the game its another plus.

Steam can still improve but I think its still the best option. I purchase all my games through it. The last game I bought non Steam was Diablo 3 because, well Blizzard has never used Steam and probably never will.

...the next entry in its sci-fi RPG series...
From what I can gather, Fallout 76 looks more like a multiplayer focused action survival game set in the Fallout universe. Something tells me that it's not going to be the kind of Fallout game that many people are expecting from the series. As for why they want it on their own platform, supposedly they're intending to make heavy use of microtransactions as a source of continued revenue, and they would rather not share the profit from that with anyone.

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Does 76 have a monthly subscription fee? Will it be microtransaction heavy? If either are true, then steam would try to get a cut of the sells after the game has been paid for for as well. Where as the brick & motar stores would not. So it seems more likely, to me, that they do not want to share revenue beyond the initial purchase.

I'm not sure if I'd play another Fallout game, but I would much rather buy software directly from the publisher or retailer/e-tailer and run software without a 3rd-party client always sitting out there in the background.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
one thing that they are probably missing, along with a lot of others that question if Steam is worth it, is the community. Steam has a HUGE community, and though Steam doesn't so much offer support for the games, you can find many forums in Steam if you have a problem. Sometimes it's a bug that needs a lot of attention before addressed, but other times it's something that can be fixed by tweaking something, reverting drivers, etc. A lot of times when I have a problem with a game and Google it, some of the top hits are from Steam forums.

aTomek

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
Fallout 4 was my last game I play from Bethesda. The amount of bugs is incredible, it broke the questline several times during my play. They never attempted to fix them, although most of them are described in FO4 wiki. They are as greedy as EA, it is obvious why they've dropped Steam.

GOG is just Steam minus the DRM. If they were to have a browser like Steam it would make them vastly better. The biggest benefit Steam creates is the ability for someone to have a list of all games owned and download/install them whenever without worry of losing the disk or key.

Bethesda does have a very buggy game engine. However my belief is that the biggest reason why they don't fix it is because of the mod community. Whenever they patch a game most mods have to be re-compiled for the new version. And the mod community for Bethesda is huge. The Elder Scrolls is probably one of the largest modded games out there.

And are you saying Steam is as greedy as EA? That would be a MASSIVE stretch. If a company uses Steam then their product is hosted on Steams servers and if they use Steamworks then they have a built in DRM and can forego most third party DRMs (although most decide to have another on top of Steam). Its understandable Steam would charge for these services to distribute these games. Its not cheap to have server farms to hold data or bandwidth to be able to deliver these products to people.

araczynski

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Can't say I particularly care about who the gate keeper is... but in an ideal world it would GOG for everything, frack Steam.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
If it's not on Steam, then I'm not buying it. The last thing I want is to have ANOTHER download service running in the background with all my credit card info on yet another server for some hacker to harvest.

Status
Not open for further replies.