Bethesda: You'll Get Your Money's Worth in Elder Scrolls Online

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Putting aside the fact that i don't like the game, i have to say that even now i still think they have no hope of staying pay to play. i mean they are so confident in the game that they had to segregate an entire playable race to the imperial edition which btw segregates the player base in what they can play as and in what alliance. Kudos to the developers. you just let the marketing department bury your love child AND let them take a piss on the grave.

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I would like to believe that Bethesda can succeed where SWTOR failed, but I'll be shocked if they can - that game was fantastic. I would pay subscription fees without blinking, but apparently a lot of people won't. Don't understand why, but there it is. I hate the F2P model, and wish Bethesda the best of luck. If I weren't knee-deep in Mechwarrior Online, I might subscribe on principle!

Battledad

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Been playing the beta for a while now (including this weekend). hard to put a finger on it but it just doesn't "feel" right. Hit E to enter, R to pickup items, mouse moves the screen; chat is weak (and communication in an MMO is key); lots of bugs and glitches (that don't appear to be fixed thru betas) and it's not ready for prime time. We won't e subscribing.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Not many of you seem to have met FFXI which has been pay 2 play for 11 years and still has a fair player base, and charges 13$/month base, and an extra dollar per additional character after the first.And FFXIV which last I heard is still netting up players clamouring for it as a hit, which charges 15$/month.Both games coming from a company people don't seem to like.So the pay to play will fail argument, kind of fails.

I personally would like the WoW experience from early vanilla and BC. I'm tired of the Solo play, cross server, automatic grouping experiences that most games have gone to. It seems that MMO's are designed for people to log on and just watch the action around them. The social aspect of the games have died due to many design choices, almost all of which WoW as done first.If they avoid the pitfalls that WoW has introduced into the MMO community, I'll join, pay or free.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
It seems trendy in some "hardcore gamer" cliques to slag off TESO. Mostly I'm sure from kids who have never played it and just want to fit in. Fortunately for me I'm capable of forming my own opinion: I've played the beta for awhile and I love it. How may of those saying the subscription model will fail played WoW for years on their parents dime, I wonder?

aule 10

Reputable
Mar 11, 2014
Until they have an decent FOV over 65-75 the game is unplayable. so no you will not get your money's worth. But they promised an FOV slider, but they haven't made it into the game yet.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I always pronounce it Bethseeda.Anyway, I do like the Elder of Scrolls series, it seems very fun. Too bad I could never get into it, maybe it's just not my type of game. Tried Morrowind for a while, was nice traveling, but the encounters were way too hard, and enemies scaled with you, which is an awful design. Tried Oblivion briefly, but by then I had a job and little time, so dropped quickly. Skyrim I discovered cheats and enjoyed flying around for a while at high speed; also dropped quickly because: It's about 1:30 in the morning, everyone in this village is sleeping. I kill a wolf in the village. Suddenly I have two guys (which are 10x stronger than me) trying to kill them because I killed their pet wolf (apparently a "dog"). So what were they doing awake at 1:30? Would people try to commit murder IRL if someone kills their dog? If that happened, society would break down. Completely unrealistic, hence dropped.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Im all for $15 a month if that means lots of new content all the time with no bugs. That is not reality though. I have Skyrim with all the DLC and newest patches and I still run into bugs. This cannot happen if I buy the game and then pay per month. I dont play enough to warrant a monthly fee anyways but if I did, Im not sure I would play this. They have not proven that they can put out a bug free game 100% of the time. Its hard to do with games this big.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'd need 4 accounts for my family. Add in the cost of purchase price of the game and that's $1k a year. Or 2 round trip tickets to Hawaii in the off season. Think I'd rather go to Hawaii.

If you really are interested in these games, you can fix your issues quite easily. In Morrowind, there was a slider for difficulty. Turn it down and play at the difficulty you want. The game is made much easier or more difficult based on your character choices, so tuning the difficulty is understandable.

As far as the dog killing thing goes, yes I've known people who would shoot you for killing their dog. Also recognize that this is a fantasy world. There are different cultural differences, and it is a game after all. As a general rule, do not kill in town, and if you do, make sure you are sneaking and not visible.

It seems trendy in some "hardcore gamer" cliques to slag off TESO. Mostly I'm sure from kids who have never played it and just want to fit in. Fortunately for me I'm capable of forming my own opinion: I've played the beta for awhile and I love it. How may of those saying the subscription model will fail played WoW for years on their parents dime, I wonder?
To me, the game just doesn't have the quality required for a subscription model to work. The same thing happened with SWTOR, Age of Conan, and quite a few other post-WoW subscription MMOs.I think Wildstar has a much better chance at success with the subscription model. Initial buyers may not be quite as numerous, since the Elder Scrolls has a huge fanbase and awareness that just isn't possible with a new franchise.

verma1891

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

SKyrim is not REAL. Understand the meaning of fantasy bro. You should not play games if you expect them to behave real world like. I wonder how you will feel when you play gta. :D They kill for literally anything.

gudomlig

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2013
I've put a fair amount of hours into the beta. I enjoyed all the previous games in this series, and would consider myself a fan. But so far am not terribly impressed with the online version. I'm certainly not impressed enough to cough up 15$ bucks a month or $180/year. I could buy a dozen or so games on steam for that amount and probably get more playing time out of them. I'm glad I was able to play the beta because it saved me some money

random stalker

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
well, how about no.1, the game is a just bad console port - UI and graphics are made to fit console users and are outright bad for PC gamers /even worse than Skyrim/. 2, it's bugged - and more than Daggerfall, I might to add. There is at least one bugged main quests, which you need to complete. And that is per area and per alliance. Everyone complains about the reloading spree.3, the company doesn't care about the userbase - no global chat channel and nobody hasn't even seen a GM to reset broken quests...4, it doesn't feel like an Elder Scrolls game, damn it doesn't even feel like Fallout with swords /aka. Skyrim/...5, PC version doesn't feel like a decent MMO really. And definitely not an MMO one would pay subsription fees.