Bethesda: You'll Get Your Money's Worth in Elder Scrolls Online

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I like the attitude of building the game they want. Watch how long it lasts. The reason I gave up playing online games is that a vocal minority are always able to force the company into making drastic changes to the game. Particularly boosting some classes and gimping others. A vocal minority of a minority drive the endgame content such that the end game content cannot be entered into unless you join alliances of that tiny minority of players that are able to put 16 hours a day into playing the game.I doubt I will trust the developer that they will make the game as they say above. In the end, like all MMOs, it will either be dominated by a few hard core players that prevent lesser players getting to even play the top content, like everquest multiple month long waiting lists for said mob spawn where special people in special tribes get to jump the line or like WOW massive raids that require being part of a group of dozens upon dozens to enter.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The issue with the pricing is that it is not a good value. If I were to do all of the quests today, will I get an additional 15-20 hours worth of new quests and story?With many of these online games, you get a main experience, and the monthly fee never really adds much beyond probably as few new weapons or other crap (at least until they release an expansion which they charge a lot for on top of the monthly fee)If I am paying a monthly fee for a game, then I do not want to pay to do the same quest or the same PvP. I want new story content.

These games typically have stuff for both. There is nothing wrong with having guys who live online with content meant for them. There is other stuff to do. This is the problem I have with MMO's, and I'm not a raider, though I have tried it a little. The problem is that MMO's are being made so everyone can access everything, whether they are solo or not. There is nothing wrong with not being able to do everything, and it gives incentive for people to group up and form friendships.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Not me...PS Plus/Xbox Live is worth it because of the Free Games every month. Any other MMORPG games do not offer anything worth it. The items in a video game are worth nothing to me...(minus the crazy real-world market for in-game items.) I have been playing the beta for several months now. It's not worth the $15 per month fee. I can get Amazon Prime instead which is much better for me.

astonerii

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
These games typically have stuff for both. There is nothing wrong with having guys who live online with content meant for them. There is other stuff to do. This is the problem I have with MMO's, and I'm not a raider, though I have tried it a little. The problem is that MMO's are being made so everyone can access everything, whether they are solo or not. There is nothing wrong with not being able to do everything, and it gives incentive for people to group up and form friendships.
I see that there is a problem making content a person pays for unavailable to them unless they are willing to be effective little slaves to the live online crowd. Particularly in a pay to play game.

They make content for all crowds. The hardcore crowd doesn't play with the easier stuff, as they out gear it and don't care about the rewards. Is it unfair that they don't use that content? MMO's are not like single player games. They aren't meant to be accessible to everyone at all times. MMO's are meant to provide challenges for everyone, and for people to work together for what ever goal they have and socialize along the way.

If you could attain everything from the get go, no one would bother playing, which may be why so many MMO's are losing players. MMO's are not single player games meant to be consumed. They are meant to exciting for years.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
If the finished product is anything like the beta, where half the quests can't be completed and the game has same gameplay, I can't see anyone playing this for longer than a month (no subs). I love Skyrim and when an MMO feels more like a singleplayer game...why not play the singleplayer game instead? Note: I haven't tried the dungeons in ESO. But UI getting stuck and having to do /reloadui plus quests that I can't progress in at all...does not bode well.

I would pay a monthly fee for a quality game over all the micro transaction crap F2P has become any day of the week.

Not that I have much interest in this particular game.

I can see pay to play not being any worse than the users who complain yet to not realize that the 10-20 dollars a month of micro transactions in these so call "free" to play games are the same thing.This is not saying ALL F2P is bad, but lots of it is and most of it actually cost players more than a subscription game. For some reason people see the dollar amount per transaction(but it was 99c for that level boost) and not as a per month amount.

Tony Casagrande

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
I got my money's worth out of Skyrim. I don't think I'll get the same amount of gameplay per dollar if I have to pay the full price for the game over every four months just to be allowed to play it. When it comes down to it, single-player offline gaming provides the best value for the money, even factoring in things like DLC. You can't beat potentially thousands of hours of play for no additional cost, no matter how you spin it.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Uh...yeah I prefer the "pay for a game and own it forever" idea. Call me old fashioned, but I think I'll just wait on your next single player Elder Scrolls game.

Reed85

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Only one Raging? this is getting insane, i've owned every EDS game to date but im not going to pay $180 a year to play. Even offering new content regularly I can buy 3 full new titles for that price. Bethesda messing up.

So in other words a great IP completely and totally destroyed by going online only! I just hope when this fails Bethesda can go back to what made The Elder Scrolls the great RPG's they were and not let it die just because of one bad move by trying to make it into something it is not and never will be a Online only piece of crap!

nottorp

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
I don't mind paying a subscription for a game at all but... what's that Imperial Edition crap? It sets a dangerous precedent. They want money upfront, they want a subscription fee and they're hiding some features behind ANOTHER payment? No buy for me until I see what else they want to charge for...

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
Sounds similar to what Guild Wars 2 is doing - except GW2 does not require a subscription.
A lot of the new subscription-based MMOs eventually ended up as F2P, I doubt this one will be an exception...

nottorp

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
Sounds similar to what Guild Wars 2 is doing - except GW2 does not require a subscription.A lot of the new subscription-based MMOs eventually ended up as F2P, I doubt this one will be an exception...
It's not at all similar. GW2 never asked for a subscription fee. And they never hid a race/class behind an extra payment. The items in their cash store are either: cosmetic skins with no stats, minipets with no in game function or useless boost items for the impatient.While Bethesda is asking us to pay extra for another race, and are giving a free mount to owners of the imperial edition. It costs 1 gold ingame instead of 17000! gold for the regular mounts. And that's on top of their 15/month. This could easily escalate into EA levels of greed (check Dungeon Keeper for iOS reviews).

Jaroslav Jandek

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
@nottorp I was responding to the article. My point is that they promise big content updates, which is what GW2 does now while not requiring a subscription... If what you say is true, then it is in direct opposition to their claims of content equality (another race for money)...

nottorp

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
@nottorp I was responding to the article. My point is that they promise big content updates, which is what GW2 does now while not requiring a subscription... If what you say is true, then it is in direct opposition to their claims of content equality (another race for money)...
If what i say is true? Open their site and marvel at the way they push the (more expensive) Imperial Edition :)

sjc1017

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
They need to make the subscription model cheaper. All I do is play each mmo for two months with each expansion. When Warlord of Draenor arrives I'll buy two months and level, then stop. The payment model actually stops people playing since people organise their play around the plan. If it was cheaper to buy subscriptions I might keep my subscription running for longer. I don't mind paying a subscription but why do they always set it at the same price?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Alienate your single-player fanbase just to get some of the WOW niche. Nice move Bethesda. They were one of the the last bastions for "gaming" > "money-making". I always bought all the Elder Scrolls games and DLC, knowing that once I bought it, I had a complete product always and forever and if I decided not to purchase a future DLC or game, at least I would not lose what I already paid for. I still refuse to embrace gaming as a service and will only give my money to those companies that treat it as a product.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Hate to break it to them but they don't make epic games.They make games with user creation tools and the users make their good games epic.Elder Scrolls without user created content is going to be a miss.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
F2P is the only viable MMO model in this day and age. B2P could work with a big name IP (Like GW, Warcraft, TES, etc). But P2P? I will be playing the game with my wife, I have no issues personally paying $30 a month to play an MMO, but P2P is a huge mistake for them.It will go F2P or B2P within 6 months after the honeymoon period wears off and subs start dropping like crazy.

This is not an Elder Scrolls series game. This is a spin off. At least this is what has been said from the beginning. This is like WoW. WoW did not kill Warcraft, though they did stop making Warcraft games after the WC4.

The point is, this is an MMO that is only related to Elder Scrolls due to the setting. There is supposed to still be more Elder Scrolls games that are single player.