Bets guide for Overlocking gtx 970 Strix?

benwinwood6

Reputable
Nov 10, 2017
I want to be able to overclock extremely safely and thoroughly but don't know enough.

I have been told that stress test overlclocks don't work and sometimes show issues in actual games.

What sort of things do they show if the overclock doesn't work?

Solution
I recommend this guide to anyone that ask about overclocking GPU. Also, it's safe. Worst case scenario, you would have to restart your PC unless your GPU is faulty. It's not complicated like CPU.

If you want to overclock, the general procedure is like this:
0. Install MSI Afterburner
0. Download and run UNIGINE Valley on Ultra + Windowed. Any other benchmarking works too.

1. Max your power limit. (Requires good PSU)

2. Increase your core clock 50+ at a time while looking at the benchmark till artifacts (weird lines and colors) appear or your driver crashes/freezes. Then fine tune it compared to your previous clock.
Example Core clock: ... > +150 > artifact > ... > +140 > no artifact > +115 (Keep it 25 or more below max)...
I've done some extensive overclocking on a Strix 970 and the stress tests such as FireStrike and Heven Benchmark would not show artifacting on my maximum stable overclock. But then say when I played GTAV is would artifact and I would have to reduce clock speeds. But, different games reacted differently. That could be what you were being told about.

My Strix 970 would run around 1500MHz core, I can't remember the Mem overclock. Max overclock will give you the results of a stock GTX 980.

Read some guides

Safe GPU Overclocking Guide 2016 R1.3 - http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2749337/safe-gpu-overclocking-guide-2016.html

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I recommend this guide to anyone that ask about overclocking GPU. Also, it's safe. Worst case scenario, you would have to restart your PC unless your GPU is faulty. It's not complicated like CPU.

If you want to overclock, the general procedure is like this:
0. Install MSI Afterburner
0. Download and run UNIGINE Valley on Ultra + Windowed. Any other benchmarking works too.

1. Max your power limit. (Requires good PSU)

2. Increase your core clock 50+ at a time while looking at the benchmark till artifacts (weird lines and colors) appear or your driver crashes/freezes. Then fine tune it compared to your previous clock.
Example Core clock: ... > +150 > artifact > ... > +140 > no artifact > +115 (Keep it 25 or more below max)

3. Do the same for Memory. (50 or more below max)

4. Save your profile. I have a half OC and max OC profile.

5. Don't check apply overclocking at startup. You can check it after a few days of testing.

Keep temps below 80c. If start going above, install a fan near it or change the paste.

Solution