[SOLVED] Better Audio on board or from old Soundcard?

theITguyfromNY

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
I recently bought the https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/specifications/ and, although it has onboard sound, I continue to use my SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme card. I have never had "surround sound" (I use a Logitech z553 3-speaker setup...https://www.logitech.com/en-sg/product/speaker-system-z553 )...but started thinking about buying new speakers on the upcoming Amazon day as rears (just literally 2 rear speakers...20$ish). Then I thought, should I be buying a new sound card? (I have a rear speaker port already) Then I thought, technically I should be asking why I'm even using my old Creative Sound card. Technically, my board is using PCI-E resources to interact with my Creative sound card that probably I don't need..or..not.(maybe my Creative card is indeed "better" than the onboard audio)...How are sound cards even measured as "better" (I checked the Creative website thinking, How do these folks even make money anymore?, and...even after browsing there, I don't have an answer except for maybe the music industry). Anyway, should I throw my old sound card away, or should I disable onboard sound? Does it really matter all that much?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Solution
I did not mean to offend. That's why I specifically threw in the bit about the music industry. In-fact, I hope and presume to at-least some extent that manufacturers like ASUS partner with Creative to ensure the quality of their sound-related [onboard] product features.

Not offended just stating information.

This is a question for Creative, really, but: What is the benefit for a "regular" consumer to upgrade their sound card (from my SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme to the Z that you have)??

The only benefit is drivers but the Z series is better than the X-Fi you are using. Higher SnR is one of the biggest features.
Creative itself does way more than just sound cards. They do speakers, headsets and have even designed probably the most insane sound bar in the world, one thats better than a lot of surround sound systems spec wise.

They also have been in the sound and audio industry for over 30 years and probably hold patents on a lot of audio technology that motherboard makers and other sound card makers license from them.

One example is that Apple was sued and lost to Creative for copying their GUI design for MP3 players with the iPod. Yes there were many MP3 players before the iPod, most better in many ways.

That said onboard has come a long way but I still use a sound card. I run the SoundBlaster Z right now as I like the features the software has over most. I have personally yet to find an onboard that can be as loud as a dedicated sound card.

Ash3000k

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015
Rule of thumb is the more processes like NICs and Audio you can offload to dedicated devices the better, it will also free up more CPU power for gaming etc.

And if made correctly it should suffer from less noise as its not sharing its PCB with other electronics.

theITguyfromNY

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
Creative itself does way more than just sound cards. They do speakers, headsets and have even designed probably the most insane sound bar in the world, one thats better than a lot of surround sound systems spec wise.

They also have been in the sound and audio industry for over 30 years and probably hold patents on a lot of audio technology that motherboard makers and other sound card makers license from them.

One example is that Apple was sued and lost to Creative for copying their GUI design for MP3 players with the iPod. Yes there were many MP3 players before the iPod, most better in many ways.

That said onboard has come a long way but I still use a sound card. I run the SoundBlaster Z right now as I like the features the software has over most. I have personally yet to find an onboard that can be as loud as a dedicated sound card.

I did not mean to offend. That's why I specifically threw in the bit about the music industry. In-fact, I hope and presume to at-least some extent that manufacturers like ASUS partner with Creative to ensure the quality of their sound-related [onboard] product features.

theITguyfromNY

Prominent
Jul 9, 2019
Rule of thumb is the more processes like NICs and Audio you can offload to dedicated devices the better, it will also free up more CPU power for gaming etc.

And if made correctly it should suffer from less noise as its not sharing its PCB with other electronics.

This is a question for Creative, really, but: What is the benefit for a "regular" consumer to upgrade their sound card (from my SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme to the Z that you have)??

Not offended just stating information.

The only benefit is drivers but the Z series is better than the X-Fi you are using. Higher SnR is one of the biggest features.

Solution