[SOLVED] better buy gtx 1660 or RX 580 8gb?

JakubFindra

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
better buy rx 580 8gb or gtx 1660, i am not much a gamer but games like gta 5 or fortnite i want play on ultra/epic, i found rx 580 for 130€ and gtx 1660 for around 200€, i dont know what, thank you for reply

Solution
I would definitely go for the RX580, given your resolution and monitor's refresh rate. The RX580 has a much better performance/price ratio and should handle 1680x1050 easily.

Lutfij

Titan
If this is to pair with your Optiplex, we're going to need to know how old the PSU is in that system and the quality of the PSU(aka make and model) to understand if you're fine just buying a GPU or if you need to factor in a GPU+PSU during a purchase.

Lutfij

Titan
If this is to pair with your Optiplex, we're going to need to know how old the PSU is in that system and the quality of the PSU(aka make and model) to understand if you're fine just buying a GPU or if you need to factor in a GPU+PSU during a purchase.

Don’t expect 60 FPS. GTAV on a FX4300 will likely see drops into the 30’s.

Easy enough to swap out a FX4300 (AM3+ socket) with something like an A10, provided the BIOS supports it. Won't be the fastest rig in the world, but it will definitely handle everything he throws at it for sub HD gaming. (1680x1050) BTW: That's a really odd number. I have never seen this specific resolution before.

Edit: as pointed out lower down the A10 doesn't will work in AM3+ sockets. My apologies. I hate it when I slip up like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Easy enough to swap out a FX4300 (AM3+ socket) with something like an A10, provided the BIOS supports it. Won't be the fastest rig in the world, but it will definitely handle everything he throws at it for sub HD gaming. (1680x1050) BTW: That's a really odd number. I have never seen this specific resolution before.
Its good for the OP to manage expectations, could be disappointing otherwise if expecting 60+ fps from this gpu upgrade. This might help manage expectations https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1911-gta-v-cpu-benchmark-4790k-3570k-9590-more