Better card ???

mpjesse

Splendid
They are both good performers, but the GF2 outperforms the Radeon in FPS. Also, I've noticed that the bump mapping (image quality wise) on the GF2 is much better than the Radeon. I play Giants online ALL the time and bump mapping is a BIG thing in the game- everything is bump mapped. I'd get the GF2 GTS or Pro if I was u.

-MP Jesse

"Idle time is the devil's time. Intel better start working!"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Giants -> Radeon
Q3 -> GF2.

Games running on radeon look a lot better, but run faster on the GF2.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, I've seen environmental bump mapping on the Radeon and it's pretty cool- but only one game supports it to my knowledge (evolva I believe). But as far as regular bump mapping on textures (non-EBM) my eyes tell me nVidia's is better than ATi's.

-MP Jesse

mpjesse

Splendid
Dude, you posted it to me bro. HELLO Wusy. BTW, i'm coming up with your poll tonight. Haven't figured out what i'm going to do yet.

-MP Jesse

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I play Quake III at Max settings (all the eye candy), max Anisotropic texture filtering, non compressed textures at 1152x864x32 without a hiccup. Smooth as silk. After I see the vivid colors and quality of textures and smooth objects screeming on by as I Fragg it is hard to accept something less. With 32 megs you will have to use compressed textures in QuakeIII which on the GF2 it has some rather nasty looking skys amongst other things. On the Radeon using compressed textures adds about 6-8FPS (not needed for smooth play) and barely noticeable degradation of texture quality. Couldn't say much about giants since I don't have the game but here are some benchmarks for my setup.

Everything maxed in game, light table, 32bit textures uncompressed, 32 bit Z, highest quality Anistropic filtering, sharpest detail, high quality sound, 1024x768x32, using Quake3 127h, demo1. This is what the Radeon was designed for :smile: :smile: .

Stock 182.59mhz WinMe/W2k
62.9/61.5 FPS

Overclocked 200/200
68.2/67.4 FPS

W2K with compressed textures:

182.59mhz core and memory (stock)
68.8 FPS

200core/200memory
74.6 FPS

IWILL KK266 650@866
Radeon 64 VIVO Retail (most recent drivers)
256mb PC133 cas2 Crucial
20mb IBM drive
WinMe/W2k (most recent updates)
12x DVD Drive
4x4x24x Pacific Digital burner
20" HP trinitron monitor
Microsoft digital sound system 80 (USB speaker system)
Linksys ethernet card and hub
3com cable modem

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 03/10/01 11:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>