[SOLVED] Better CPU or PSU first?

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Hi All,

I'm planning to build my new rig, i have decided all the componenst but comes down to 2 decisive compenents on which should i "sacrifice" to meet my budget.

My new Rig will be as follows:

Asrock AB350m-HDV
Sapphire RX-580 4gb Nitro+ OC edition
2x4 DDR4 RAM 2666Mhz (brands depend on availability)
240GB SSD
1 TB HDD

Those are my Fixed choice, then it comes down to CPU and PSU

My CPU options are either Athlon 200GE or R3 2200G

Should i go with 2200G, then my PSU options will be:

1. Thermaltake Litepower 550w (save some margin from budget)
2. BeQuiet U9 Power 500w 80+ bronze
3. Antec NeoEco Classic 550w 80+ bronze (Max Budget)
4. Enermax Naxn Series
Or any other branded PSU with equal price range

Then if i lower my CPU choice to Athlon 200GE, my budget can go for Seasonic Focus Gold 550w (80+ Gold) or Equal PSUs

My typical games are AAA titles such as Farcry 5, The division, Ghost Recon, BF1 and 5 etc

So what do you guys think? Will Athlon 200GE badly bottleneck RX 580?, or should i look for better investments in PSU and upgrade the CPU later? i think replacing CPU will be a lot easier than replacing PSU no?

I know that the above listed PSU are actually more than enough to handle my setup, bear in mind i'm not into Overclocking at all. But as above are lower tier PSU do they really do bad as people suggest?

Solution
Wait you already have a 570?

That changes my suggestion. Get a b450 board, 2600 and use the 570 you already have, this gives you a much stronger backbone of a build turning down settings won't help fps if the cpu is limiting you, it'll always help if it's your GPU holding you back. Besides it's like 10-15% less performance.with a 570. To pay full price for a 580 to gain 10% isn't w good choice

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
In a lot of.cases both your cpu choices will bottleneck your GPU. Also neither of your processors will work with your mother board without a bios update which will require a 1*** series ryzen processor to perform. Get a b450 motherboard.

Just hang on and save up it can't take long to save the difference between a junk power supply and a decent one

bdivi2000

Reputable
Feb 9, 2016
PSU does not play games. As long as it is sufficiently powerful and reliable it does not add anything. For gaming the important components are GPU-CPU-RAM in that order. In your specific case I would go 2200G anytime.

If you are not in a hurry you can see what AMD has to say at CES2019 about the new Ryzen 3000 - might be much better than what we have today.

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

I just know that, so AB350m only works for 1xxx Ryzen series like R3 1200? actually that can be my option as well since i have GPU i will not benefits from raven ridge iGPU.

I've been using Pentium g5400 ft RX 570 4GB now, i suppose an upgrade to a 4C Ryzen will make a lot difference then my current setup?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Wait you already have a 570?

That changes my suggestion. Get a b450 board, 2600 and use the 570 you already have, this gives you a much stronger backbone of a build turning down settings won't help fps if the cpu is limiting you, it'll always help if it's your GPU holding you back. Besides it's like 10-15% less performance.with a 570. To pay full price for a 580 to gain 10% isn't w good choice

Solution

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

Yes i agree, actually PSU are not relevant to gaming performance, but most people here suggest to invest a better PSU and make 'sacrifice' in other areas. since a wrong choice of PSU can ruin the whole setup later on.

Actually my personal opinions is as long as they are branded and certified 80+ they're not that bad aren't they? as long as the wattage are sufficient to our setup

I'm looking forward to 3rd gen Ryzen as well, but even until now it still in haze, and i think will take longer time untill it finally available in my country, so...

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

I see then, that's maybe why no matter how hard i adjust my settings in games such as FC 5, Ghost Recon Wildlands the FPS won't improve. Thanks for the suggestion.

Well actually i have the RX 580 already with me :D, i bought it due to AMD's Gift promotions where i can get a free 2 Games including Division 2 and Devil May Cry 5 if i buy an RX 570 above series, i already get the game code now just need to wait until release to download.

Thanks tho for the suggestion, i might need to rethink for Ryzen 5 now to fully utilize my Rx 580

Diceflix

Reputable
May 22, 2016

I Always wanted to go Full AMD and try Ryzen, besides i already sold my current setup with price where i can build my new Ryzen rig without spending extra pennies.

Selling a whole setup is much easier than selling individual parts