[SOLVED] Better CPU?

Mar 31, 2020
Hey, all! I currently run a I9-9900k and it's fine,i would like a better CPU that can handle tons of workload and gaming as well. I'm a Biochemist and I have loads of reports and sample testings to run. All my equipment are hooked to my PC. When I run Word and Lab related programs my CPU seems to be at a usage of 80%-95%. I'm sure the cause of that is due the programs that are being processed concurrently. When I run games like BF, COD, Metro Exodus or any game the usage percentage is within a considerable range.

My question is, is there any other CPU that can handle heavy workload and stress due to substantial applications.

https://valid.x86.fr/13p5ce

Last edited:
Solution
When I run Word and Lab related programs my CPU seems to be at a usage of 80%-95%.
If you are running some "lab related programs" that happen to utilize all available cores, then you are likely see close to 100% usage on any processor. The heavy processing task may get completed sooner on a processor with more cores, but you are still likely to see full usage in that case.

So the question is, do you want these heavy processing tasks to get completed sooner, or are you just after lowering the usage percentage, or something else? Running a processor at a high CPU usage percentage is not a problem in itself, as that just means it is being fully utilized. If you are running certain software that utilizes all available cores...
First off, verify that you aren't running unnecessary programs in the background. A lean and clean OS could save you from spending extra money on unnecessary upgrades.

Do you think that your system is actually slowing down due to lack of processing power? Hitting 80% utilization (with spikes to 95%) is fine. Unless it's pinned at 98% or higher I wouldn't worry. It could be that other components like drives, communication paths to equipment (USB?), etc., are what's causing slowdowns, if you are seeing any. Also, it sounds like you would benefit from having separate work and gaming systems - just something to think about.

You've got the top processor for your socket/chipset. If you want to upgrade you're looking at moving to an X299 motherboard with an X-series CPU (on the Intel side) or an X399 motherboard with an AMD Threadripper on team red's side.

I guess you could go up to server level Intel Xeon CPUs as well. All of these upgrades will require a rebuild with a new motherboard though and all of them will be very expensive. What's your budget?

AMD Threadripper is a pretty good option, A ton of cores and threads if your software can utilize it, but its single core performance is not as good as the 9900k, so in some games or lightly threaded app the 9900k would get a bit better performance.

You're other option would be to overclock, Now if your work load is mission critical, I probably would advise you not to overclock unless you make sure its 100% stable for hours on end, and temps are well with in check.

Mar 31, 2020
First off, verify that you aren't running unnecessary programs in the background. A lean and clean OS could save you from spending extra money on unnecessary upgrades.

Do you think that your system is actually slowing down due to lack of processing power? Hitting 80% utilization (with spikes to 95%) is fine. Unless it's pinned at 98% or higher I wouldn't worry. It could be that other components like drives, communication paths to equipment (USB?), etc., are what's causing slowdowns, if you are seeing any. Also, it sounds like you would benefit from having separate work and gaming systems - just something to think about.

You've got the top processor for your socket/chipset. If you want to upgrade you're looking at moving to an X299 motherboard with an X-series CPU (on the Intel side) or an X399 motherboard with an AMD Threadripper on team red's side.

I guess you could go up to server level Intel Xeon CPUs as well. All of these upgrades will require a rebuild with a new motherboard though and all of them will be very expensive. What's your budget?

When I run my programs I make sure to close and stop any redundant or useless programs.
Since you've mentioned, I'm now thinking about going for a X-series CPU.
I have a good amount in my savings and won't mind rebuilding my rig.
Do you know which model of the series I should get. Anything as of lately or to the newest would sound good. When and If I do buy a X-Series CPU will I have to upgrade my cooler as well? I currently am using a Kraken Z73.

When I run Word and Lab related programs my CPU seems to be at a usage of 80%-95%.
If you are running some "lab related programs" that happen to utilize all available cores, then you are likely see close to 100% usage on any processor. The heavy processing task may get completed sooner on a processor with more cores, but you are still likely to see full usage in that case.

So the question is, do you want these heavy processing tasks to get completed sooner, or are you just after lowering the usage percentage, or something else? Running a processor at a high CPU usage percentage is not a problem in itself, as that just means it is being fully utilized. If you are running certain software that utilizes all available cores, moving to a processor with additional cores might not improve your multitasking performance in other applications running at the same time either. It should allow a long processing task to get completed sooner though.

Solution