[SOLVED] Better FPS Using my PCIE x8 slot than my X16 slot?

Mar 3, 2019
So I recently upgraded my rig from a 1060 6GB to a 1080.

I expected way better performance but in actual fact I got worse...?
My rig:
:Z170 Pro Gaming mobo
:i7-6700 Liquid cooled (clock speed as non k)
:16gb DDR4 2666mhz
:GTX 1080

Now I searched and my cpu should not bottlekneck my gpu. CPUZ and gpuz show nothing that would stick out.
I only upgraded because I started getting really poor performance on games, AC origins for example, low settings 38 fps??? Anthem very low settings 40 fps. People who had similar rigs reported no issues so I went anyway and upgraded to the 1080. Got the same fps on those tested games.

I have tried loads of stuff.
:Resetting Bios
:Fresh install of drivers
-Even a fresh install of widnows 10

I then went a tried putting it into the second PCIE slot which according to my mobo website is also a x16 slot and BOOM , instantly better fps, running games on ultra waaaaay above 60fps.

Does anyone know what the deal is with my top PCIE slot?

Solution
In the BIOS, under the Advanced tab, there should be something called System Agent Configuration, go there. And in there, depending on ho many pcie slots you have,
they will be in order, like the first one will be the one thats closest to the CPU, make sure its set to gen3
Mar 3, 2019
Update

CPUZ and GPUZ show my main PCIE slot(closest to cpu) is running in x1 mode despite the fact its a x16 slot. Really confusing lol..

Anyone know how to fix this.
Ive tried:
.Air duster incase of any dirt etc
-reseating the card
-Cant update bios as its fully updated
-reset bios

SubGTX

Reputable
Feb 20, 2019
In the BIOS, under the Advanced tab, there should be something called System Agent Configuration, go there. And in there, depending on ho many pcie slots you have,
they will be in order, like the first one will be the one thats closest to the CPU, make sure its set to gen3

Reactions: HeyItsMoo
Solution
Mar 3, 2019
You are amazing. This worked perfectly and cpuz now shows it running in x16 mode.

Thank you ver much.

Mar 3, 2019
Update 2

Worked for a short time, was doing a benchmark to make sure everything was cool and my screen went all gltichy and cut out momentarily. It made the noise like I uninstalled and reinstalled something.. Plot thickens...

Are your temps in HWMonitor under control (I would think a non-K's core/package temps would be 65C or less) when under a gaming load? IF temps hit 90-100C, your pump....'isn't'

There are so many pump failures/throttling symptoms issues around here, that it is always worthy of a quick verification before moving on to other likely/potential causes...

Mar 3, 2019
I haven't overclocked any of my components.

I've been rattling my brain and was trying to think if I changed something recently. I briefly recall I tried to upgrade my CPU to a 7700k. I was getting no post after Installing it fine and presumed it was a fault with that particular cpu. I went back to to the CPU I was using originally (6700) and it seemed to work fine however that is also when my issues arised. I have done some propper looking and have looked at my CPU socket and see 2/3 pins in the bottom left corner are very slightly out of line. Could this cause my issue I'm having with my PCIE slot and also be the issue that my 7700k wouldn't post?

Thanks

Mar 3, 2019
So good news, at least so far. I stripped my pc down completley, I then somehow very very very very carefully straightened the slightly bent pin in the cpu socket, put everything back together and so far its been fine. Benchmarked a few times and its held on with no issues. Have seen tempature improvements also. Was a bit worried at first as I got no post when I put everything back together but turning it off/on again worked a treat.

So far so good :D
Thank you to everyone who gave advice and attempted to help.