Better Frames on older graphics card

mj.huber900

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
These are the spects for my computer-

CPU- Fx-6300

GPU- Rx 580

Ram- 8GB DDR3 1600

In minecraft i cant get over 60 fps and when im in some areas i cant get over 20

but when i switch the graphics card back to my to the GeForce GTX 750ti i get 100+ mostly over 120

i used the same settings for everything and i dont understand why its doing this to me i see other people who have the rx 560 with over 100 frames when i use thoes same settings i cant get anyware near that im at a loose ive tryed everthing i can think of shot of writting a more compatible driver (dont know how to do lol)

Im going to be building a new computer on 1/6/19 (2 days or so )

CPU- Ryzen 5 2600 

GPU- Radeon rx 580

RAM- 16 GB DDR4 2600 Ram

MoBo- MSI B350 Tamahak

im hoping to see a difference in frames but i wont know till then

Solution
So it has to be the way the 580 operates with your CPU.
I really don't understand why it wold operate differently, but sure it is. So when the CPU bottlenecks the GPU sits there waiting for the CPU to catch up, which has to be the reason why you have this problem.
As for the course, I really don't know. One for the egg heads to work at.
The problem you have is the CPU is just not strong enough for that card, this is a REAL situation of bottleneck (it is way over used by people on this forum)
Although you want to build a new computer, can you wait a week? Also dont get 2600 Ram, you should have 3200 for best performance.
AMD is going to show what their NEW Zen 2 CPU's will be like at the CES show (next week) and hopefully a release date.
Obviously, if the release date isn't until June, then you may as well upgrade now. If the release date is February/March you may want to hold on.

As for your FPS problem, have you used DDU? Google it, it will come up under guru3d website. It will remove ALL old drivers (which can cause confusion with your GPU) then you should install the latest drivers from AMD website. Although I recommend downloading the drivers first, then running DDU in safemode as it asks, then you will be good to go

mj.huber900

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Well with the computer i have all the parts... had them for about a month i forgot to get a mobo with the right bios so to be more accoretly im getting the AMD boot kit.....

And if it was a bottleneck shouldn't i be getting similer frames as the 750ti

mj.huber900

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Ok i did the DDU thing and it didnt work im still getting better frames on the 750 ti en minecraft
750 ti
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
9091, 60000, 72, 241, 151.517

RX 580
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
5849, 60000, 43, 181, 97.483

while playing with the 580 i did notice a noticable incereace with the cpu utilization compared to when i was using the 750 ti and the 750ti was being used more (like 10% more then the 580)

Benchmarks were taken by fraps

So it has to be the way the 580 operates with your CPU.
I really don't understand why it wold operate differently, but sure it is. So when the CPU bottlenecks the GPU sits there waiting for the CPU to catch up, which has to be the reason why you have this problem.
As for the course, I really don't know. One for the egg heads to work at.

Solution

mj.huber900

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

So... my only hope for the gpu to reach its full petenchal is for me to wait and have it in the new computer im building....
but what if it does the same thing.... i hope it dosnt but if it does then i have a $#*t gpu chip basicly

If it does the same thing, it has to be faulty and it is under warranty.
You could actually send it back now before you get your new computer and tell them exactly what is happening.
How can a faster GPU be slower than an aging 770? This way you will know for sure if you send it back the new one they send or the testing they did on yours, is as fast as it should be.

mj.huber900

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

It turned out to be a CPU bottleneck... oddly now im getting a constant of over 345 fps depend on the area so im sory for posting somethin like this i didnt think it was going to be a bottleneck but it was