Question Better Laptop than HP Omen 17" at this price ?

Mechanicos

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hi everyone, I have been looking for a laptop for a while now but its not an easy task to decide. However, i found my benchmark, it's the HP Omen 17" can someone show me a better laptop than this one at this price?

Yesterday I visited a local store and had a feel on the HP Omen from up close, it wasn't this exact model but it was an HP Omen. To be honest I was really disappointed with the quality and looks. Unfortunately, it was also next to an ASUS Zephyrus, making it look even worse. From just looking and feeling the two laptops the Asus clearly had superior quality.

From what I understand there is no way I can find an asus with the same specs as the HP Omen (link below) however I am willing to sacrifice some of the specs to have a nice-looking laptop, but I guess its not just the laptop frame that is better quality, this may include, the screen, speakers, touchpad and everything else that goes inside a laptop except the CPU, GPU and RAMS

So by looking at the specs of the laptop that i have chosen what would you guys suggest as an alternative to the HP Omen but close to these specs?

The main specs are:

• 17'' Display: 2560 x 1440, 165Hz, IPS, non-glare
  • Intel Core™ i9-12900HX 16x 1.70 GHz
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 Ti 16.0 GB
  • 32 GB RAM,
  • 2 TB SSD
https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/p/90925310

Hey there,

So, in the first instance, don't get quality confused with branding! :)

There's an 'Asus Premium' with anythi8ng Asus. They charge more for the same spec. Which is annoying, because I particularly like them as a brand, ands often buy their gear.

BUT ( a big but), I also like HP. Even in recent years, branding was seen as the lineation. But nearly all suppliers now, have superior QC to those dark days. Most of the OEM's like HP/Dell, make really good laptops, with quality parts and quality builds.

I've an HP Omen 15 from 2020. And it has very good build quality. I'd go as far as to say that, I've pushed that baby top it's limit's, assembled/disassembled 30 times! It's a legend and is still going strong today.

Whilst looks are subjective, I've found the looks and build excellent. So it's different horses for different courses.

With all of that said, you are getting a lot of laptop with that HP, or anything specced similarly.

All of the manufacturers (Asus, Lenovo, Dell, HP etc) have decent offerings nearly the same. Just not quite as well specced. If it were me, I'd be getting excited about getting that puppy home for a run on BF2042!! :)

In terms of cooling, most laptops of a certain spec, use almost the exact same cooling systems. 2 fans intake, with rear or side exhausts. There's nothing revolutionary going on the laptop cooling world, so more often than not, gaming laptops might perform similarly in terms of temps. The only real thing that can slow down CPU x in system Y or Z, are the artificial limits put on by the manufacturer. This can really be a big difference between say HP/Asus (I'm just citing names as an example).

Also, don't be fooled by any advertising about how cool said X laptop is.. Believe me, all decent spec and quality laptops, they will all do one thing very well! Output a lot of heat in a tiny small form factor. Gaming Laptops get hot! Fan noise is horrendous. This is to be expected.

I'd stick with the Omen, as HP have come along way. Their Omen Gaming Hub, is particularly useful.