Better Manufacturer for RAM?

Matrix890

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I'm thinking about either getting 8GB of ram, but I don't know wether to chose from Corsair or G. Skill Ripjaws X. What are the major differences/similarities in both ram brands?

Solution
D
The actual truth of the matter is that neither GSkill or Corsair manufacturers anything. The same is true of almost all RAM brands. They buy from the real manufacturers like Hynix, Elpida, Powerchip, Micron or Samsung and rebrand them. You only get RAM from an actual manufacturer by buying Samsung or Crucial since Crucial is the public sales division of Micron.

Now some brands use higher quality modules than others and I tend to stick with Corsair or GSkill. The only brand I avoid and don't recommend is Kingston as they tend to use low quality modules. They are the only company still selling DDR3 1600 cas 9 that requires 1.65v when literally every other company has moved to the newer 1.5v modules.

So in all honesty when buying GSkill...

InvalidError

Titan
For most intents and purposes, all the major brands have lifetime warranty and similar timings. Unless you are looking for something specific, the biggest differences would be whether or not you like their looks and whether or not they mechanically fit in your PC.

Personally, I favor affordable no-nonsense DRAM so I simply got Kingston HyperX with plain heat-spreaders... 32GB of it running 1600-9-9-9.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
GSkill is the leader in DRAM, innovation, new products, widest product line, etc....and the quality shows, Corsair and most others are scrambling to keep up and semi just following the leads that GSkill sets, i.e. Corsair finally came out with a 32GB set of 2400 just a couple or 3 months ago, GSkill has had multiple good selling sets for well over a year now... As far as your selection, I'd definitely go with the RJ X over Corsair but the best selection would have to be based on what mobo and CPU and if you plan to OC, there are actually multiple line of RJ X that fit different combos and scenarios best

D

Deleted member 217926

The actual truth of the matter is that neither GSkill or Corsair manufacturers anything. The same is true of almost all RAM brands. They buy from the real manufacturers like Hynix, Elpida, Powerchip, Micron or Samsung and rebrand them. You only get RAM from an actual manufacturer by buying Samsung or Crucial since Crucial is the public sales division of Micron.

Now some brands use higher quality modules than others and I tend to stick with Corsair or GSkill. The only brand I avoid and don't recommend is Kingston as they tend to use low quality modules. They are the only company still selling DDR3 1600 cas 9 that requires 1.65v when literally every other company has moved to the newer 1.5v modules.

So in all honesty when buying GSkill Ripjaws or Corsair Vengeance you might be very well getting the same identical RAM with a different heat spreader on it. So go with what's cheaper.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
They buy their ICs (memory chips) but then do their own design, binning, selection of PCB, solder, etc and then manufacture the actual modules....so yes there is a big difference....if all they did was buy and rebrand, then all would be coming out with basically the same sets and freqs at the same time, i.e look how long it took Corsair to get to the high freq sticks