Better performance/fps by upgrading to a better mainboard, and from 4gb ddr2 ram

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Hello, therfore I found almost nothing about this on the internet so far I'll just ask U guys :D
At the moment I have an ASROCK: n68-s, which uses ddr2 ram (4gb). Now I'm about upgrading these components to an at least better MoBo (probably ASUS) which uses ddr3 ram of which I'll take 8gb.

My GPU is the Gainward 550GTX-TI and my CPU is the AMD-Phenom II x4 925 (which is actually compatible with my am2+ socket but also usable with an am3 MoBo - am I right?)
BTW am I running Windows7 (64-bit).

Soooo : Will doubleing my ram, and go from ddr2 to ddr3, and from am2+ to am3 increase my general sytem-performance, or rather my "ingame-FPS" ?

Thanks in advance :)
(sub-category maybe wrong - used my current motherboard. w./e. ^^)

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks e56imfg for your reply :)

but what does "a little bit" mean in your opinion ? Are we talking about sth under 1 FPS or a few, like 3-4 FPS ?

And - another question which was in my first post: In general - will 1) upgrading to a better MoBo and 2) from 4gb ddr2 to 8gb ddr3 cause a gain of performance ? Not the change from ddr2 to ddr3 (not the ddr2->ddr3 change, BUT this change + doubling the ram) - again: thanks in advance ;)

e56imfg

Distinguished
A new mobo would not increase performance at all. Motherboards are about features, not performance.

4GB to 8 will probably be unnoticeable.

1 to 4 FPS is totally unnoticeable and not worth spending money on.

If you really want to improve performance, save up a couple hundred bucks and buy a new mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.

Trying to upgrade an old PC is a total waste of time and money. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

TheCrisis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2013
Alright - so far. So what would u recommend to upgrade at first ?

As i wrote, at the moment I'm running:

ASROCK n68-s : ddr2, am2+
GPU: Gainward Nvidia GTX550TI 1024mb
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 925 (around 4x 2,8ghz)
Memory: 4gb ram
Harddrive: 260gb IDE (Windows7 64bit OEM, UserData's)/ 1TB S-ATA (Games/Steam)

While playing I have a ram usage of ~70%, but the most time it's more. even while I do barely anything i have at least 45% ram-usage... Does it work that way, or does upgrading my ram increase at least sth in my system/gaming. An example: I play games like "The Witcher 2", "Skyrim", "LeagueOfLegends" - etc. so we have 1 game with extreme good graphics (TW2), a game with pretty many things at once at the screen (Skyrim) and a game like LeagueOfLegends which is not rly demanding on hardware .
I run all these at at least 35 FPS, LeagueOfLegends usualy fit to 60 - graphic settings at high (mostly) @ 1900x1080 resolution. Everything works fine, BUT i have some FPS crashings/crushings which annoy me ^^ . So (as the best example) "LoL" runs at 60FPS and starts going down to 30 and kinda below and then running up to 60 again (comparable to other games - also the mentioned)
Dont know if the mentioned topic is still up-to-date, but i hope u could help me with my problems :D
EDIT: at the moment i have a <55% usage of my ram with 2 google-chrome's, the taskmanager and wmp without playing music