better performance?

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Im planning on purchasing a p4 2.4ghz processor from pricewatch...both the 400 fsb and the 533 fsb is the same price 188 bucks....I am planning to water cool this cpu...
im guessing the 400fsb one would oc alot better but the 533 would deliver alot better performance if I could reach the same fsb marks...
what are you guys personal experiences with this and what would you suggest or recommend?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
It would depend on how good your ram is in terms of quality. If you think it can make it to 400+ MHz, then get the 2.4B. Make sure you also get a motherboard with the 4:5 memory ratio. You can then up the FSB to 160 MHz giving you 2.88 (roughly 2.9) GHz with the memory running at 200MHz DDR (400 equivalent). I would strongly recommend a motherboard based on one of Intel's newer chipsets such as the i845pe, I've not known many SiS or Via chipsets to go above 150 MHz FSB and maintain stability.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 2.4A goes to 3.2GHz at 133MHz FSB, which is QDR533. The 2.4B would require 177.7MHz FSB to get to 2.2GHz. The most efficient board (more power per MHz) is the 8SG667, but I don't think that it's chipset will do much over 166MHz bus. That leaves less efficient Intel DDR chipsets and the i850E.

The i850E will definately go 178MHz, but most motherboards don't have clock generators that will. Aopen is the only exception I know of. AX4T II-133 looks like a nice board but I've never seen it in review or in action, so can't cake a recommendation. One thing I do know is that at 178MHz, your RDRAM would run at PC1066 speed using the PC800 multiplier (3x).

Getting back to DDR boards (more bang for the buck, er, slightly less bang for far fewer bucks). The Asus P4PE looks like a great board, it uses the i845PE. The Gigabyte GA-8SG667 looks to be a slightly better performer, but I'm not sure how far it clocks (only seen it verified to 162MHz, but that was at stock voltage).

Almost any board would be fine for overclocking the 2.4A to 3.2GHz, I could even do it on a stock Intel board with a few tricks (see <A HREF="http://www.crashmania.tk" target="_new">http://www.crashmania.tk</A>), because 3.2GHz comes in at Intel's next stock bus speed.

I hear the 2.5A comes with a newer core revision that allows for higher clocks. It should do 3333MHz at 133 on almost any board. And I've heard the 2.53 has similar improvements.

Intel is dropping their prices again soon.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
thanks guys...by the way I got my extra drive installed crash...besides doing the norton ghost and backing up...I just backed up via local network once I found someone with enough storage space ....and did a reformat with winxp =]...works nicely...
Im going to get that gigabyte ddr board you suggested and try the 2.4a cpu...(is the 2.4a the 400fsb cpu? and the 2.4b the 533mhz cpu??) whats the difference b/w a & b?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A and B are nicknames now, A originally stood for Northwood, but now is used in the tech community to indicate a 400MHz bus northwood, while B would be 533.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>