[SOLVED] Better speeds over wifi vs ethernet, not sure why. Using Windows 10 and quality hardware, everything should be 1gbps+ rated.

Fryedegg

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Better speeds over wifi vs ethernet, not sure why. Using Windows 10 and quality hardware everything should be 1gbps+ rated.

Hello there,
So finally posting about this since I am tired of my laptop getting better speeds than my Ethernet PC's. The speed issues effect both internet speeds and network file transfers. I have all 1gbps+ rated net cards/routers/modems/switches. All my patch cabling is cat 6e and I have 1 long run(*125ft) of Cat5e from my router to switch in the office. My comcast service provides up to 300mbps but my internet/network transfers are all capped at around 100mbps speeds. Wifi speeds go up to full speed for internet and up to 100MB/s. Very confused to what is bottle necking my wired speeds to around 100mbps.

To start spec's of pc's/equipment:
ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Modem
D-Link AC3200 Ultra Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (DIR-890L/R) (any QoS throttling is turned OFF)
D-Link Ethernet Switch, 8-Port Gigabit Plug n Play (DGS-1008G)
Cat 5e ran from router to switch. Cat6e + used for all patch cables
Media PC - MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Intel Motherboard
My PC -GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
laptop mobo - Intel(R) HM175 Express Chipset
I can't find my wife's mobo but it's a 2018 MSI gaming board. Every mobo's network cards supports up gigabit speeds.
All PC's are some kind of i7 CPU. I figured the mobo's were the most important detail since those have the network cards in them.

So my initial thoughts were I screwed up my 5e cable that I made myself with my brother's help. (He's Network/IT guy and he had the connectors and the crimping tool) I bought outdoor rated Cat5e that he approved of and we made 1 long run of about 125ft. Made those runs 5 years ago and double/triple tested them, so that should not be the issue.

Biggest concern is my media PC that is right next to cable modem. If I bypass the router and test speeds straight from cable modem to that pc(with a cat6e cable)... speeds are still stuck at about 100mbps(my plan gives me up to 300mbps) All the patch cable is cat6e. The only 5e is the one long 125ft run.

And as stated above, all my wired network file transfers are capped at the same speed as the internet is, right at about 100mbps.

Now my 2017 laptop gets up to full speed over wifi, seen it go up to about right under 300mbps on both internet and file transfer speeds.

Everything is on fully up to date windows 10 installs and my router/cable modem have the latest firmwares.
I am sure I have left out some pertinent info but I feel like there is maybe some setting somewhere in my router/window 10 I need to change perhaps? I dunno. I am a firefighter and know more than your average person about PC's thanks to my brother, but it's kind of just enough to be dangerous. I searched this high and low and saw some stuff on here but am still stuck. Any thoughts and insights would be great!

-Marc

Last edited:
Solution
Problem is with the cable testers most people can afford it just means there are wires connected. It can't actually tell if the pairs are correct or if it can really pass data.

It really sounds likes some device is actually connecting at 100mbps. You should be able to tell on some switches/routers what the speeds is via the lights. Some routers also have a display what shows the port speeds.
On your pc you should be able to see the connection speed in the interface status.

If you see these at 100mbps then there is a cable issues. If every connection is running at gigabit but it only transfers at 100mbps then something very strange is going on.

Generally I recommend using keystones or patch panels on wire that is...

Fryedegg

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
I'd reboot the modem and see if it will connect with that media PC at any speed faster than 100Mbps. That's where I would start.

@SamirD ,

I recall doing this but I just did it again to be sure. Plugged modem directly into media PC, Power cycled and went through comcasts online restart that takes 5 minutes and ran tests again. Same results as before BUT I left one weird thing out. I also tested ethernet right into the 2017 laptop and got the same results.

So this speed test results in the same speeds of between 90-100mbps, the only difference is when the media PC is directly hooked up to cable modem the speed initially spikes at 200+mbps and rapidly throttles down to the same 90-100mbps as always, so fast the the avg speed is still the 90-100mbps. All the wired devices hooked up to the switch via the Cat5e cable never get that initial spike above 100mbps.

Those results have always made me a little suspect of my homemade Cat5e wire the my brother/me made. It was good on the tester and obviously works but I don't know enough about terminating your own cables to know if you can improperly wire the RJ-45 connectors and have your cable still work but reduce your speeds from 1gbps to 100mbps? Maybe they sold me a bogus wire to begin with that was only rated for 100mbps?

I I have considered re-running that wire with pre-cut Cat6e(or 7e to totally future proof) but if I am not getting the full speeds wired directly into the cable modem then that wont fix my issue either.

This whole issue is more annoying than anything. 100mbps download speeds are plenty for just my wife and I. Just annoys you when you know you should be getting triple the speed. Full speed file transfers over ethernet would be kinda nice too. Still hoping to maybe figure a solution out to this while in covid-19 quarantine.

-Marc

P.S. Tested wifi again once I hooked everything back up. 287mbps DL speeds.

Problem is with the cable testers most people can afford it just means there are wires connected. It can't actually tell if the pairs are correct or if it can really pass data.

It really sounds likes some device is actually connecting at 100mbps. You should be able to tell on some switches/routers what the speeds is via the lights. Some routers also have a display what shows the port speeds.
On your pc you should be able to see the connection speed in the interface status.

If you see these at 100mbps then there is a cable issues. If every connection is running at gigabit but it only transfers at 100mbps then something very strange is going on.

Generally I recommend using keystones or patch panels on wire that is permanent installed. It is much easier to install for a beginner and you can remove single wires and repunch them if needed.

Your outdoor cable likely is fine not a lot of that is fake. The 2 common types of fake cable you find is CCA cable and the flat or thin types with wire not 22-24. Both these can work for short patch cables but have massive issues when used at longer lengths. This info should be printed on the side. Many times you will just see it marked CU for cable that is pure copper.

Solution
@SamirD ,

I recall doing this but I just did it again to be sure. Plugged modem directly into media PC, Power cycled and went through comcasts online restart that takes 5 minutes and ran tests again. Same results as before BUT I left one weird thing out. I also tested ethernet right into the 2017 laptop and got the same results.

So this speed test results in the same speeds of between 90-100mbps, the only difference is when the media PC is directly hooked up to cable modem the speed initially spikes at 200+mbps and rapidly throttles down to the same 90-100mbps as always, so fast the the avg speed is still the 90-100mbps. All the wired devices hooked up to the switch via the Cat5e cable never get that initial spike above 100mbps.
This is quite odd. So you're saying that with a PC or laptop connected directly to the arris cable modem that you're still only getting 100Mbps?