[SOLVED] Better to buy Big Amazon Echo or small one + speakers?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I'm thinking of buying some Amazon Echo device for basic use for us five in my family. Maybe I'd get two over time if I like it. So I thought I'd get one of the bigger sized ones and a smaller one such as the Echo Dot. Then I thought...why not buy a pair of good speakers such as the Fluance Ai60 or similar the plug the small Echo into it?, so I'll save a few bucks and have good speakers too, probably better that the big Echo built-in speakers....

I wonder if there're any drawbacks on this decision and would love to hear any opinions.

Any advice much welcome

Solution
I'm thinking of buying some Amazon Echo device for basic use for us five in my family. Maybe I'd get two over time if I like it. So I thought I'd get one of the bigger sized ones and a smaller one such as the Echo Dot. Then I thought...why not buy a pair of good speakers such as the Fluance Ai60 or similar the plug the small Echo into it?, so I'll save a few bucks and have good speakers too, probably better that the big Echo built-in speakers....

I wonder if there're any drawbacks on this decision and would love to hear any opinions.

Any advice much welcome

You are going to get better audio quality over the Echo with built in speakers, but will not save money, the best Echo model is $160 now (Echo Studio), the speakers you...

Any advice much welcome

You are going to get better audio quality over the Echo with built in speakers, but will not save money, the best Echo model is $160 now (Echo Studio), the speakers you were talking about are another $100 over that not including cost of the Dot.

Reactions: Rodion15
Solution

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Personally, I wouldn't have one of those in my house. Too many privacy issues.
My understanding is that the Echo will send audio to its servers shortly after the trigger word. I'm not concerned about this to be honest. That Amazon would be eavesdropping my conversations seems so remote to me (they'd be bored mad listening everyone out there). But I understand this is a matter of concern.

USAFRet

Titan
My understanding is that the Echo will send audio to its servers shortly after the trigger word. I'm not concerned about this to be honest. That Amazon would be eavesdropping my conversations seems so remote to me (they'd be bored mad listening everyone out there). But I understand this is a matter of concern.
Its not a matter of them actively "listening".
Rather, giving them more and more data to build a profile.

"trigger word" ?

Reactions: Rodion15

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Its not a matter of them actively "listening".
Rather, giving them more and more data to build a profile.

"trigger word" ?
amazing
all I can say is...
errr...
I'll keep my mouth shut when around it. I just got one today half price, looks nice up there on the fireplace.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
For instance, would you do this?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5otP8BpbbQ4

This, from a local Credit Union.
You're right mate, these guys wanna know too much!.

...just a joke. I find no solid reason why this should concern me. That Amazon may sell this info to insurance companies, employers, or anyone who would be interested in eavesdropping me...still sounds unrealistic to me me, to be honest.

Last edited: