Better to switch to built-in sound chip ?

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hi ...
Now I'm using a PC with Gigabyte 945P-S3 rev.3.3 with CORE 2 Duo 2.133GHz (E6420) and Geforce 7900GT..2GB of 667MHZ DDR2 main memory...With SATA II Maxtor 160GB storage..

I use for sound the "ancient" Creative Sound blaster 5.1 live (S0100) chip from Creative...with discountinued driver support from long time ago from the company...

My question is that : Will I lose in terms of performance when I take off the PCI Creative sound card to replace it with the built-in one in my Gigabyte board or not ? in terms of games,compatibilty,and general performance ?? I use both XP prof. and Vista 32bit HomePremium ? Does it worth it ? is it better to change to the built-in sound or not ???

Sorry if this was not the correct place to put my thread...

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Sound should be at least as good. The best way to determine sound quality of anything is to listen to it. Sound quality is very subjected, what sounds good to me may not sound good to you so try it. Internal sound card will use more resources but not enough to be noticeable on that build. Just be sure to remove the drivers for the sound card first and enable the onboard audio in the BIOS

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Thanks for you reply....I will try it ..by the way,I can see 2 files in the drivers page in gigabyte website one is obvious which is the driver and 2nd on is microsoft audio bus or something ..should I install the latter before the driver or not necessary....???

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Not really sure but if it were me and the Microsoft audio bus driver is installed and the one on the site is newer, I'd install it. If it's not installed, I wouldn't.