[SOLVED] Better WIFI extender/booster recommendation without constant dropouts?

CurtisGamer

Honorable
Apr 4, 2015
I am in the process of researching into buying another Wifi extender because the one I am currently using(TP-LINK N300 RE-105) isn't working properly as I wanted to. I bought that extender from Amazon around the New Year and every time I use it and connect to the extender, it only operates from anywhere between a few minutes to nearly an hour and then it drops out, thus completely losing connection through the extender but the Internet connection through the main router still working properly. Every time I lose the connection, I had to keep unplugging the extender for a few minutes, plug it back in, and I get the same problem. This has been going on for months and I am considering replacing it with another extender. I paid almost $20 for the product.

As I was browsing on Amazon and Best Buy for another WIFI booster/extender, there are some bad reviews written by customers who claim that extenders constantly disconnects after several minutes of usage and the only remedy to this problem is by rebooting the device by unplugging it. The products I was looking at were Netgear AC750 and Linksys AC 750 DuaL-Band extenders. Both run between $39-49.

Is there a better WIFI extender you guys could recommended without encountering the same problem? I

Solution
My first recommendation is to not use any form of wifi extender if there is any other options. Look at powerline networks and MoCA and of course a real ethernet cables before you use extenders. Extenders should be your very last option partially because of the symptoms you are seeing. This is very common.

You can't really trust any review by end consumers. You can barely trust reviews by so called professional reviewers. The problem is these devices are greatly affected by the testing environment.....ie the house. There is no way to compare any ones results with yours because houses are so different. In addition many home users are incorrectly installing them. They place them in the remote room and think by magic...
My first recommendation is to not use any form of wifi extender if there is any other options. Look at powerline networks and MoCA and of course a real ethernet cables before you use extenders. Extenders should be your very last option partially because of the symptoms you are seeing. This is very common.

You can't really trust any review by end consumers. You can barely trust reviews by so called professional reviewers. The problem is these devices are greatly affected by the testing environment.....ie the house. There is no way to compare any ones results with yours because houses are so different. In addition many home users are incorrectly installing them. They place them in the remote room and think by magic it will fix poor wifi.

Proper placement of a repeater is critical. You need to place it in a location that gets very strong signal from the main router but can also still re transmit a usable signal to the remote room. This location may not exist in some houses when a wall or ceiling is absorbing huge amounts of signals. Even if you get this placement you are going to lose a massive amount of performance and you now have 2 radio signals that can be interfered with rather than 1.

I have not looked up the models you suggest. The better repeaters have 3 radios. They uses a dedicated radio chip to talk to the main router and then have 2 radio chips to talk to the end client. This greatly increases the cost of the devices. It does tend to take less of a performance hit than the cheaper repeaters that use the same radio to talk to the main router and the end device.

If you have tv coax cables in both rooms I would serious consider MoCA. This technology can actually get full gigabit speeds in most people houses.

Solution
Nov 10, 2021
I am in the process of researching into buying another Wifi extender because the one I am currently using(TP-LINK N300 RE-105) isn't working properly as I wanted to. I bought that extender from Amazon around the New Year and every time I use it and connect to the extender, it only operates from anywhere between a few minutes to nearly an hour and then it drops out, thus completely losing connection through the extender but the Internet connection through the main router still working properly. Every time I lose the connection, I had to keep unplugging the extender for a few minutes, plug it back in, and I get the same problem. This has been going on for months and I am considering replacing it with another extender. I paid almost $20 for the product.

As I was browsing on Amazon and Best Buy for another WIFI booster/extender, there are some bad reviews written by customers who claim that extenders constantly disconnects after several minutes of usage and the only remedy to this problem is by rebooting the device by unplugging it. The products I was looking at were Netgear AC750 and Linksys AC 750 DuaL-Band extenders. Both run between $39-49.

Is there a better WIFI extender you guys could recommended without encountering the same problem? I

I've had very good luck with the TP-Link Deco Mesh system. I have concrete floors and 3,000 square feet. I get the coverage I need with no drops.