[SOLVED] Better Windows for Gaming

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
My PC specs are intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93 Ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram 800 mhz, nvidia gt 710 gddr3 2gb, 500 gb hdd. I am going to buy crucial 250 gb ssd to use it as boot drive and play some games on it, I am currently having Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit, I play games like assasins creed 3,4, gta 4, far cry 3, i dont play very high end games. After getting ssd, should i upgrade to windows 10 or stay at windows 7, all i want is better fps in games.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you won't get better fps really from what i've seen. depending on the game and OS might see a couple fps either way, but not enough to change the OS for.

tune your install will make a bigger difference overall. turn off all the start-up bloat, unneeded services and so on and you'll see some change. not gonna see massive gains but a small amount for sure.

Even after trimming your OS of whatever unnecessary things you don't need to run (and even then I'd argue that doesn't really improve things, since background tasks should have a negligible impact anyway), there's nothing more you can do. Software can't overcome hardware limitations.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
dont say os dont affect fps as my friend was getting 40 fps in a game in linux and when he tried the same game on windows 10, he got 30 to 35 fps. He also has 4gb of ram

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
linux vs windows is not the same question of win 7 vs win 10. you can't make that comparison since there is such a difference between linux and windows. .

an ssd will load levels or other info into ram faster but after that it has no effect. since the game is run from ram an ssd won't help or hurt fsp. it only lowers load time.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
Ok i will upgrade to Windows 10, also currently i am having core 2 duo e7500, should i buy core 2 quad q6600 or better (my motherboard dont support i3,i7,etc), can i get major performance boost by quad core q6600 or better processor in gaming, please tell me, or suggest me a better processor than comes in price of q8600 or similar which has good performance and dont overheat too much as i also heard from many people that quad core overheats faster than dual core thus not good for games

USAFRet

Titan
Ok i will upgrade to Windows 10, also currently i am having core 2 duo e7500, should i buy core 2 quad q6600 or better (my motherboard dont support i3,i7,etc), can i get major performance boost by quad core q6600 or better processor in gaming, please tell me, or suggest me a better processor than comes in price of q8600 or similar which has good performance and dont overheat too much as i also heard from many people that quad core overheats faster than dual core thus not good for games
You should not put any more money into that system.
Save your pennies for a full system upgrade.

many people say that on windows 10, games lag more as compared to w7, is that true and will this problem even persist on ssd

An SSD vs a standard drive will do nothing for FPS in games. It will help with lower loading times for programs and maybe help a bit with low RAM issues since the swap file will be faster.

You need a full platform change for faster gaming, running a 10 year old CPU and a slow 5-6 yr old video card is what the issue is for gaming, not a solid state drive. Window version is the same thing. You are trying to get a 20 yr old donkey to run in a horse race by buying it a new saddle and washing it. It won't make the donkey any faster.

Core 2 Quad will make things faster, as will a swap to a GT 730 GDDR5, I am guessing you can buy those used for cheap enough to make it worth the swap. Used faster systems you should be able to get for maybe $100-150 that come with a Core i5, so depending on the cost of parts for you, it may not be worth spending any money at all on what you have and just save a bit for a full swap.

Reactions: madmatt30

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
first of all i am not an adult so i am dependent on my parents for pc parts thus forget about new pc, i want to say that my pc will support all cpu other than i3,i5 and i7, my pc will support all quad core, g, pentium, amd processor, should i get quad q8600 or g4560 or amd a4 with r5 apu tell me

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
for better fps in games, should i get processor with more cores or more ghz, if your answer is more ghz then i will go with g4560, if core then q8600 or amd a6 with r5 apu

Last edited:
for better fps in games, should i get processor with more cores or more ghz, if your answer is more ghz then i will go with g4560, if core then q8600 or amd a6 with r5 apu

You can't just look at more cores or more clock speed, you need to compare the actual CPU speeds. You can't run an AMD CPU without changing motherboards as well. For what CPU your system can support you can check the computability list for your motherboard model. Keep in mind that while the computer will be faster than before you will not gain enough speed to play newer games without replacing the whole thing. If you need to spend more than 40 or 50 on the system it's not worth upgrading it since a new faster one is not much more than that.

ROCK BAND

Prominent
Jan 25, 2020
as i said before, i am not going to change motherboard before 2 years, my motherboard is intel g31 with lga 775 socket, it can support all pentium, dual core, core 2 duo, core 2 quad, core 2 extreme, xeon processor, i want to know which processor is bet for my pc. In my country all pc parts are very expensive, even the cost of nvidia gt 710 gpu is 100 US dollars in my country. The currency of my country is indian rupees

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
hello everybody. i apend my question at the end of this thread because is in same argument to my question.
about best os for gaming, i red there is a win 10 lite version faster set for gamers properly. have you heard about? what's your opinion concerned?
thaks