[SOLVED] Better with / no integrated graphic?

kyubey

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
Almost a total noob at this, sorry if the question is dumb.

Using latest one for example:
i5 12600k vs i5 12600kf
i5 12600k: +28 usd from 12600kf
Looking at the price, f version with no graphic is cheaper.

But will it cause some problem for a noob? I mean, for example:
When i do a fresh install on new hd / ssd, the pc can't read my vga (yet).
It's literally written intel integrated graphic 1st before installing vga's driver.
Now the stupid question: Can i even reach desktop without my vga's driver installed and my cpu without graphic too?

Solution
You don't need integrated graphics to boot up. GPUs without the drivers loaded still have basic functionality to display Windows.

Installing Windows properly means installing Windows on the system which you're actually running. The best practice is to do something correctly the first time rather than cutting corners and crossing your fingers it works out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know which is a better choice. I wish all cpu had igpu still as it sure helps with troubleshooting. can remove gpu and see if you still have same problems, easier.

When i do a fresh install on new hd / ssd, the pc can't read my vga (yet).
It's literally written intel integrated graphic 1st before installing vga's driver.
so you already installed windows? windows shouldn't install a igpu driver if your CPU doesn't have one.
you might be able to disable igpu in bios if you have a GPU

Now the stupid question: Can i even reach desktop without my vga's driver installed and my cpu without graphic too?
windows 10 or 11 will have drivers that work with intel igpu or a GPU that work during install process and as soon as its on desktop will find drivers for everything in pc... may not be newest but better than nothing.
so if you use a CPU with igpu
or
A CPU without and with a GPU,
windows will be fine

Reactions: kyubey

kyubey

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
I don't know which is a better choice. I wish all cpu had igpu still as it sure helps with troubleshooting. can remove gpu and see if you still have same problems, easier.

so you already installed windows? windows shouldn't install a igpu driver if your CPU doesn't have one.
you might be able to disable igpu in bios if you have a GPU

windows 10 or 11 will have drivers that work with intel igpu or a GPU that work during install process and as soon as its on desktop will find drivers for everything in pc... may not be newest but better than nothing.
so if you use a CPU with igpu
or
A CPU without and with a GPU,
windows will be fine

Right now yes i already installed everything, but i'm asking before buying the new cpu.
(and in case the old storage died again)
I mean, if i could save that 28usd for literally the same thing, why not?
If not, that's ok too. I will buy the one with graphic instead of giving me headache.

kyubey

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
How exactly did you "install everything" without a cpu?

using the old one obviously.

in case it's confusing:
I already a complete pc.
every time my storage died, i keep looking at intel integrated graphic instead of my vga's name (new storage had nothing installed yet except windows).
There's no problem because the cpu had graphic.

My stupid question is: Will it cause problem when i bought the new one without graphic?
The only thing i could think of: is me not being able to reach desktop.
Reason:
  1. the new cpu does not have graphic inside.
  2. vga is plugged but driver not installed = not read-able (yet).

Last edited:

kyubey

Prominent
Nov 29, 2021
And what is the old cpu?
Are you changing motherboard also?

If you're changing motherboard, then be prepared to reinstall windows one more time after swap.

i3 4130 (yes it's ancient)
yes going to need to replace it with z690

for what? related to windows key? if yes, i probably don't need to.
I still had that watermark 'activate windows' on bottom right of my screen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
more to do with getting windows to work right, swapping mb & cpu will mean all new drivers. You probably have better performance after a clean install after that swap.

3 normal results if you try to start windows after swapping mb/cpu

1. it works fine
  2. it works but it has strange errors
  3. it doesn't work at all
you better off starting from scratch, especially since you don't have a licence anyway so not much to lose there.

DSzymborski

Titan
You don't need integrated graphics to boot up. GPUs without the drivers loaded still have basic functionality to display Windows.

Installing Windows properly means installing Windows on the system which you're actually running. The best practice is to do something correctly the first time rather than cutting corners and crossing your fingers it works out.

Solution