[SOLVED] Betting the stand by memory W10

• Thread starter Deleted member 1560910
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1560910

Would upgrading to 32gb dram never have a issue with having the stand by memory fill up and cause stutter in game ? I forgot to mention i use ram map to free the stand by memory up

Solution
The question isn't whether 32GB can be useful or not. The question is whether having less than 32GB can cause some sort of "stand by" issue, and it can't. It doesn't. Unless you are running applications that ACTUALLY use that kind of memory, like professional productivity and graphics or video applications, or VMs, or a LOT of very heavy multitasking PLUS also running one of maybe five or six games that uses significantly more than 8GB of RAM, there is absolutely no reason why 16GB for a gaming only machine should not only be enough, but be more than enough.

If something is eating up your 16GB of RAM until you are out of memory, then that same something will be eating up your 32GB of RAM until you are out of memory, because obviously...
If you have 16GB now, then your memory capacity is not to blame for any stuttering you are experiencing. 32GB, unless it's one of a VERY short list of titles, isn't going to offer you any benefit and even on those short listed titles that it might benefit you on, not having 32GB would NOT, ever, cause you to have stuttering.

Your problem is elsewhere. Not that it is entirely accurate, by a long shot, but it's often at least INDICATIVE of there being a problem in a certain area, so have you run userbenchmark? Do so, see what it says.

If your CPU and/or GPU card are overclocked, try reverting them back to the stock configuration and see if the stutters remain. Unstable or not thermally compliant overclocked hardware is OFTEN the cause of stuttering.

Settings related to G-sync or Vsync are often also related.

D

Deleted member 1560910

If you have 16GB now, then your memory capacity is not to blame for any stuttering you are experiencing. 32GB, unless it's one of a VERY short list of titles, isn't going to offer you any benefit and even on those short listed titles that it might benefit you on, not having 32GB would NOT, ever, cause you to have stuttering.

Your problem is elsewhere. Not that it is entirely accurate, by a long shot, but it's often at least INDICATIVE of there being a problem in a certain area, so have you run userbenchmark? Do so, see what it says.

If your CPU and/or GPU card are overclocked, try reverting them back to the stock configuration and see if the stutters remain. Unstable or not thermally compliant overclocked hardware is OFTEN the cause of stuttering.

I think your are missing what im saying. I am not having issues with stutter lets be clear. My question is will adding 32gb of ram stop Windows from using up all the stand by memory WHICH does cause stuttering in game when is full and when i use the ram map program stuttering is gone. I need to be clear about this because i dont have a stuttering problem. i have done alot of testing and solved the stuttering issue but i want to get away from using ram map as its a a little pain thats all

D

Deleted member 1560910

It's probably heat related stutter and may be a thermal throttling CPU.
Trust me its not thermal throttling when i play BF5 very smooth at a cool 69c with a overclocked 7820hk which is a mobile chip. MSI TITAN GT series has the best cooling in a laptop i have ever seen not to mention i am always on a cooling pad

Trust me its not thermal throttling when i play BF5 very smooth at a cool 69c with a overclocked 7820hk which is a mobile chip. MSI TITAN GT series has the best cooling in a laptop i have ever seen not to mention i am always on a cooling pad
So because two peoples answers didn't align to your expectations you down vote them both? Maybe try explaining in more detail when and what happens so people have a chance to really gauge what the issue might be. When does the stutter happen? Is it happening only when booting up the system or is it when you come out of sleep/standby mode? Does the stutter only affect games or is it every program.

If it's not heat related issues, maybe you need to stop using whatever garbageware software you have installed. You have 16GB installed, if you need to run a program to reduce ram usage or stutter, you clearly need to evaluate what is actually using it all. Don't just casually run some program to kill "random" processes or other random things to free up ram or fix stutter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1560910

So because two peoples answers didn't align to your expectations you down vote them both? Maybe try explaining in more detail when and what happens so people have a chance to really gauge what the issue might be. When does the stutter happen? Is it happening only when booting up the system or is it when you come out of sleep/standby mode? Does the stutter only affect games or is it every program.

If it's not heat related issues, maybe you need to stop using whatever garbageware software you have installed. You have 16GB installed, if you need to run a program to reduce ram usage or stutter, you clearly need to evaluate what is actually using it all. Don't just casually run some program to kill "random" processes or other random things to free up ram or fix stutter.
There is no reason to get hostile or insult what i have used i clearly stated what i wanted to know. The down vote is there for a reason. its not personal i thought you didnt read what i wrote. If you dont clearly read what someone writes how can you make a proper calculation of the situation

D

Deleted member 1560910

Darkbreeze said:

I think your are missing what im saying. I am not having issues with stutter lets be clear. My question is will adding 32gb of ram stop Windows from using up all the stand by memory WHICH does cause stuttering in game when is full and when i use the ram map program stuttering is gone. I need to be clear about this because i dont have a stuttering problem. i have done alot of testing and solved the stuttering issue but i want to get away from using ram map as its a a little pain thats all

I was not trying to be hostile, I was saying you have an underlying issue that you "solved" with a program that frees up ram. Adding more ram to your system won't help the situation if there is a bug in Windows or a program causing Windows to eat all your ram in standby or sleep and then not releasing it when you wake the system. The main cause of which is usually a program not functioning properly, which is why I said you should check what you have running. Uninstall anything that isn't a virus scanner or game launcher. At the very least turn off the automatic start with programs that start when Windows boots up.

D

Deleted member 1560910

I was not trying to be hostile, I was saying you have an underlying issue that you "solved" with a program that frees up ram. Adding more ram to your system won't help the situation if there is a bug in Windows or a program causing Windows to eat all your ram in standby or sleep and then not releasing it when you wake the system. The main cause of which is usually a program not functioning properly, which is why I said you should check what you have running. Uninstall anything that isn't a virus scanner or game launcher. At the very least turn off the automatic start with programs that start when Windows boots up.
Sounds like you haven't with Standby memory in Windows 10
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lppYhBdKx6U

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amQbj25MY5o

Plenty of people have 16GB of memory and don't have the problem you have. In fact, few, if any, do. So there is SOMETHING wrong with your OS installation or with something non-OS that you have installed. The problem IS NOT related to your hardware or a lack of memory. It's just not.

So then the answer to your question, is no. Adding more memory isn't going to fix, as 3rd eye said, whatever it is that is eating your memory resources up. Fix that, if you can find it. If not, do a clean install of Windows. That would be my advice. If you want to try throwing additional memory at a problem that shouldn't exist because you already have more memory than any game + OS would currently need, then fine, do so, but it's likely you will end up right back in the same situation because the way your system is behaving shouldn't be happening if everything were working normally. I had only 16GB for years, on many desktops and laptops, along with many client machines and in thousands of threads on this forum, and none of them had the problem you have without having some OTHER problem, that was not related to a lack of hardware.

The question isn't whether 32GB can be useful or not. The question is whether having less than 32GB can cause some sort of "stand by" issue, and it can't. It doesn't. Unless you are running applications that ACTUALLY use that kind of memory, like professional productivity and graphics or video applications, or VMs, or a LOT of very heavy multitasking PLUS also running one of maybe five or six games that uses significantly more than 8GB of RAM, there is absolutely no reason why 16GB for a gaming only machine should not only be enough, but be more than enough.

If something is eating up your 16GB of RAM until you are out of memory, then that same something will be eating up your 32GB of RAM until you are out of memory, because obviously the only thing stopping it from eating up RAM is the fact that it runs out of RAM to eat up. That, is something that doesn't belong on your system. It's not the memory itself and it's not your hardware. It's a bad driver, or malware, or some program with a vicious memory hole. It is definitely not the memory itself.

Solution