Question between Cinebench and aida64 which one better and safer for system stability testing for CPU overclocking?

eziowar

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2015
Hi, between Cinebench and aida64(both latest version) which one better and safer for system stability testing for CPU overclocking? also how long running is good enough for
Cinebench and aida64?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cinebench is decent for testing for overclocks for gaming. Cinebench, a few passes is usually sufficient with an air cooler, more if water cooling.

AIDA64 is better at testing for heavy workstation loads. If you want absolute stability and you can run AIDA64, you are pretty much good to use pretty much any application. Same a few passes is fine with an air cooler, but you for water you have to wait for the coolant to reach saturation.

Reactions: eziowar

wyliec2

Splendid
Apr 4, 2014
I've used both in testing all-core overclocks on my 5950X.

If the OC isn't close to stable, these will often show it pretty quickly (< 30 minutes).

My ultimate OC stability test is to run a Handbrake encode of a 4K RIP with H265-10 bit software encoder using the SLOWER preset. This will run the CPU at 95%+ for 18-36 hours during which the CPU may crash or an app thread will crash which kills the encode. Both are indicative of an OC being pushed a bit too far for the settings.

When testing a new OC setting, I typically:
1) Run Cinebench R23 multi-core and single-core to check OC score.
2) Run TimeSpy to check OC score.
3) Run Aida64 for 30 minutes.
4) Run above described Handbrake encode.

For my use, getting a few Handbrake encodes completed indicates a workable all-core OC.

Reactions: eziowar

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The new Cinebench 2024 is pretty good for checking stability particularly in regard to thermals. I cannot honestly say how hard it is working the graphics card in that I have yet to run it and have the card get any hotter than many games, however the CPU part gets it chugging for sure. The 'set' options are 10 mins or 30 mins.

TRENDING THREADS