Question Between i5-12400 and i5-13400 which is better for my build?

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
I'm doing my very first build and after some research I'm trying to choose my cpu so I can finally finish my build list. I was recommended to get either 12400 or 13400. For my needs I do not game, I am looking to use the igpu as my graphics card to view 4k movies from my motherboard ports (hdmi 2.1 for tv and 1.4 dp for my 4k monitor). I also would like to be able to maybe view a 4k movie on my tv and 4k youtube on my pc with multiple tabs open without having freezing issues. Right now when trying to watch a video on gomplayer while browing the web/look at youtube videos at the same time my pc slows playback on the video and web browsing. I'm not sure why this is starting to happen as it didn't before until like a week or so ago. Anyway, for what my needs are which is recommended? The price between the 2 is about $50 right now so that is a pretty good sized chunk I could save. Here are the rest of my specs for my build if that helps

Cougar MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case

EVGA 600 BR 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Last edited:

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
12500 or 13500 is what I would recommand because of the better iGPU. Get the 12500 and put the saved money in a better PSU like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bV...ze-certified-atx-power-supply-tuf-gaming-450b or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n3...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-erf650awt although 650w is a bit much for an iGPU system.
What makes the igpu better than the 400 series? I was told that EVGA bronze is a good psu, is it not? Thanks for the reply and feedback.
If you in fact choose a 12000 series CPU, there's not much reason to choose a 700 series motherboard.

You can probably save a bit with a 600 series board (B660). Or even B660M.

What will be on the HDD? I'd try to avoid HDDs entirely if possible.
I went with the 700 series because of the amount usb ports on the back interface and only 2 out video ports needed (1 hdmi for tv and 1 display port for monitor). I save video files (movies, pictures) on storage drives (hdd). I'm looking at the price of storage and 1tb ssd equals 4tb or more of hdd space for storage. I'll look at B660 and other 600 series boards but I chose the 700 series because of the amount of usb ports available on back. I need around a dozen usb ports. I have 4 front (2usb 2.0 and 2 usb 3.0) drives so the back needs at least 7 or more for my usage. Thanks for the feedback.

I need around a dozen usb ports. I have 4 front (2usb 2.0 and 2 usb 3.0) drives so the back needs at least 7 or more for my usage.
Do you use all those drives simultaneously?
Are they connected all the time?

USB drives are not really meant to be used that way.
You may want to install some of them internally into your pc with sata cables (at least ones connected all the time).

NoGagMaestro

Prominent
Jan 30, 2023
Do you use all those drives simultaneously?
Are they connected all the time?

USB drives are not really meant to be used that way.
You may want to install some of them internally into your pc with sata cables (at least ones connected all the time).
Not sure what you mean by installing them internally. I use usb slots for keyboard, mouse, external dvd drives and hdd. I leave other ports with cables in them i.e. ipod cable, usb c etc for when I need to connect phone to pc. So yeah I leave cables or stuff plugged in. I don't leave flash drives plugged in when not in use though.