Beware: Email Scam Targeting StarCraft II Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Don't be stupid, that's the rule
"Create a Battle.net account (or if you already have one, log in) at "

Yea if the url is not battle.net, click [delete] or [spam] or forward to blizzard to investigate.

G

Thankfully Blizzard removed LAN support and requires a Battle.net account, so I didn't by the game. Just think: If they hadn't gone through the trouble of protecting me like that, I might have been a victim of this scam. /sarcasm

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]proxy711[/nom]I get about 10 scam emails about world of warcraft a day this isn't new just a different blizzard game.[/citation]
I think I'm up to that as well.
Thankfully gmail can determine the difference between a genuine email and spam ones, as I occasionally receive emails from Blizzard in regards to account changes!

All it takes is a little common sense. I've taken to not clicking links in emails, unless it's something in regards to forum registration etc. If you see one saying you need to sign in and want to check then common sense dictates that you type in the address yourself!

the-real-link

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
Literally just got one of these last night on a relatively secured game's GUI email system that I've never given the address out for. Tried the code manually and of course it's invalid. Thankfully the game blocked any URL links and such so didn't even realize the addresses were fake - that's how close it looks like. I couldn't check the headers because the mail system doesn't let you see them in this particular case.

I did call Blizzard though just today (after a queue of 40+ minutes), and they told me it's a common hack going around. You can report these to hacks@blizzard.com, or so I was told by a rep.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I wished they would have just sold LAN play as a licensed option. I would have paid $99 for a version with 4 player LAN play instead of that hoaky collectors editon. Basically the 1st player would have to sign into battlenet. And hell, if they wanted to stop the pirates that would be hacking so the cheap version to do the LAN stuff, Blizzard could just release a patch that would detect and disable said account.

I would hope they would just market this rather than deny it. Many legit people want to host private LAN games.

G

I just scanned some buy/sell sites, and it looks like some idiots are trying to sell these bogus accounts. I don't know who are the biggest idiots, the seller or the buyer.

IDiotZ!

mhughes81

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I get at least 1-2 phishing emails from "Blizzard" daily. If you can't take 2 seconds to hover over the link in the email and see it is a fake site, you deserve everything that happens.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Who is this fooling, people hoping, just maybe, Blizzard accidentally sent them a key for a game they didn't purchase? If you bought off Blizzard's website, you've probably already been playing for a week (and already activated your game). If you didn't buy off Blizzards website, you should realize that this isn't your receipt, and its probably bogus. Just like all those emails from girls who "saw your profile on facebook".

Stupid people should be banned from the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.