Beware of the Samsung 172X & 12ms

onesaint

I purchased the 172X about a month ago. It took a while to get the colors where I wanted them but other that that the monitor was esthetically pleasing and overall nice. I was really looking for that 12ms refresh rate for gaming, movies and what have you. So I was reading the “172x - Gaming - YES!” thread and found a discussion about there seeming to be 2 different versions of the 172X and weather one was 12ms and the other 16ms. There is a tool to test TFT settings (to see if youve got the 12 or 16 version) that was hyperlinked in the thread called TFTtest. You can get it here; http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html . Point is I emailed Samsung to see what the h*ll was with the 16ms response time and why I wasn’t able to get 70Hz at 1280 X 1024. This was Samsungs reply:

“Thank you for contacting us. The SyncMaster 172X supports only those combinations of resolution and refresh rate listed in the Preset Timing Modes chart found on page 51 of the attached manual. Other display modes, such as 1280x1024@70Hz, may not be correctly displayed even when the monitor is working properly. Although the monitor can accept many signals with refresh rates greater than 60Hz, the screen image is physically refreshed at a rate of 60Hz regardless of the incoming signal; this is a property of LCD monitors in general. Since the screen image is updated 60 times each second, the image is changed each 1/60th of a second, roughly every 16 milliseconds. Thus, even though the pixels cells themselves respond in 12 milliseconds, the image they are displaying will change in a minimum of 16 milliseconds. If you would like live technical support, please call 1-800-Samsung.”

So I emailed them again and asked if this meant the 172x S, DS17BSDSV is a 12ms or 16ms monitor. They’ll probably say its 12ms pixel refresh rate with a 16ms monitor refresh rate.

Let me lastly say the monitor itself isn’t bad and I haven’t noticed a lot of ghosting or anything. I just think they should tell me what I'm paying for and not try to trick their customers. At any rate I’ll keep you posted.

GA-7NNXP, XP3000+ Barton
1 gig corsair pc2700, 2 Maxtor 80GB SATA 150
1 Seagate 160 gig ATA 133,
Asus GeForce4 TI4800, Samsung 172X
D. VINE 4 Chassis (moded)

onesaint

Samsung got back to me....

********** Don't Remove "[SN********]" from the title *************
When you inquire about our answer...
With the Serial Number, we could identify your message.

[ You Wrote ]

So does this mean the 172x S, DS17BSDSV is a 12 or 16ms monitor?