Beware of the Samsung 172X & 12ms

onesaint

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
I purchased the 172X about a month ago. It took a while to get the colors where I wanted them but other that that the monitor was esthetically pleasing and overall nice. I was really looking for that 12ms refresh rate for gaming, movies and what have you. So I was reading the “172x - Gaming - YES!” thread and found a discussion about there seeming to be 2 different versions of the 172X and weather one was 12ms and the other 16ms. There is a tool to test TFT settings (to see if youve got the 12 or 16 version) that was hyperlinked in the thread called TFTtest. You can get it here; http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html . Point is I emailed Samsung to see what the h*ll was with the 16ms response time and why I wasn’t able to get 70Hz at 1280 X 1024. This was Samsungs reply:

“Thank you for contacting us. The SyncMaster 172X supports only those combinations of resolution and refresh rate listed in the Preset Timing Modes chart found on page 51 of the attached manual. Other display modes, such as 1280x1024@70Hz, may not be correctly displayed even when the monitor is working properly. Although the monitor can accept many signals with refresh rates greater than 60Hz, the screen image is physically refreshed at a rate of 60Hz regardless of the incoming signal; this is a property of LCD monitors in general. Since the screen image is updated 60 times each second, the image is changed each 1/60th of a second, roughly every 16 milliseconds. Thus, even though the pixels cells themselves respond in 12 milliseconds, the image they are displaying will change in a minimum of 16 milliseconds. If you would like live technical support, please call 1-800-Samsung.”

So I emailed them again and asked if this meant the 172x S, DS17BSDSV is a 12ms or 16ms monitor. They’ll probably say its 12ms pixel refresh rate with a 16ms monitor refresh rate.

Let me lastly say the monitor itself isn’t bad and I haven’t noticed a lot of ghosting or anything. I just think they should tell me what I'm paying for and not try to trick their customers. At any rate I’ll keep you posted.

GA-7NNXP, XP3000+ Barton
1 gig corsair pc2700, 2 Maxtor 80GB SATA 150
1 Seagate 160 gig ATA 133,
Asus GeForce4 TI4800, Samsung 172X
D. VINE 4 Chassis (moded)

onesaint

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2004
Samsung got back to me....

---------------------------------------------------------------------
********** Don't Remove "[SN********]" from the title *************
When you inquire about our answer...
With the Serial Number, we could identify your message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

[ You Wrote ]

So does this mean the 172x S, DS17BSDSV is a 12 or 16ms monitor?

From: Samsung Electronics [mailto:electronics@samsung.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 9:06 AM
To: onesaint@******.net
Subject: [SN******]lines on left side with 172X S, 70 Hz & other
problems...

Thank you for your reply. As specified, the SyncMaster 172X has an LCD panel
with a pixel response time of 12 milliseconds.

[ You Wrote ]

Meaning the pixels on an individual basis will respond at 12ms but the
picture as a whole will respond at 16ms?

From: Samsung Electronics [mailto:electronics@samsung.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 9:06 AM
To: onesaint@******.net
Subject: [SN******]lines on left side with 172X S, 70 Hz & other
problems...

The image that the monitor is displaying changes at a minimum rate of once every sixteen 16 milliseconds. In this manner, all LCD monitors have a minimum picture refresh time of 16ms.

That says it all right there.

GA-7NNXP, XP3000+ Barton
1 gig corsair pc2700, 2 Maxtor 80GB SATA 150
1 Seagate 160 gig ATA 133,
Asus GeForce4 TI4800, Samsung 172X
D. VINE 4 Chassis (moded)

Aciv

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004
From what I understand, when the monitor is set to a 60Hz refresh rate, that means that the image signal (not necessarily the image you see) changes at a rate of about once every 16ms. It then takes an ADDITIONAL amount of time (at least 12ms for the 172x, depending on the type of color change) for the pixels to respond to the change of the signal. This produces the "ghosting" effect, perceptible or otherwise, since the signal is changing faster than the monitor can keep up. CRT's don't display this because the effective pixel response time is negligible (~1ms). This is my understanding of the situation. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

empi

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
No. The 12 ms is not in addition to the 16 ms that Samsung is stating for LCD monitors in general. What they mean is that the screen is capable of a 12 ms response time. However, the monitor is limited by the DVI connection, which can only refresh 60 times per second, or roughly every 16 ms.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off all LCDs for gaming, just because of this limitation. Most people aren't aware that they switch to a 60 Hz refresh rate on their CRTs anyways, when they start most games, no matter what the desktop refresh rate. And, I suspect that it's the flicker at 60 Hz, not the frames per second, that bothers most people. I have fairly sensitive eyes, and I find my Samsung 193P, at 20 ms, to be acceptable (although not ideal) for gaming, mainly because of the clearer image and absolutely no flicker.

Aciv

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2004
I apoligize for the mistaken information. Upon further research, I found a couple sites that should clear up the confusion, as well as answer a few more questions you may come up with. Here they are:

<A HREF="http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/css/monitortechguide/index04.htm" target="_new">http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/css/monitortechguide/index04.htm</A>
<A HREF="http://www.monitordepot.com/TheWeb/md/home/md_faq_LCDs.htm" target="_new">http://www.monitordepot.com/TheWeb/md/home/md_faq_LCDs.htm</A>